Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradybbb

Romeo Bush Cherry For Sale

Bradybb WA-Zone8
10 years ago

When looking up the Carmine Jewel,I noticed that the Romeo is available at Springhill Nursery and Audubon Workshop.Both look to be part of the same network,and order at your own risk.
The Romeo though is suppose to be one of the sweeter in the series,(22 brix?) Brady

Comments (15)

• ztom
    10 years ago

Thanks, I've been looking for one of these. The price is $39.99 (!!!). Springhill gives $25 off of $50. If you add something for 10 bucks, the tree will end up being about 35 bucks with shipping. It comes in a 4" pot. Yikes!!! I'll have to think this over. This is exciting news, and hopefully it turns up other places in the US next year.

• northwoodswis4
    10 years ago

I would like to try it, but $39.99 for a 4" pot is insane. Hopefully the price will drop next year. Northwoodswis

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As more are grown and become available,yes,the price should drop.
    This is the first year that Carmine Jewel is showing up at nurseries in Washington.I picked one up,about a two year old,on it's own roots,this weekend for about $17. Brady

• ztom
    10 years ago

I was just on honeyberryusa.com and they have the following note on the sour cherry page: "You may also contact us to be put on a waiting list for the rest of the Romance series dwarf sour cherries. Romeo will be the first to be released."

http://honeyberryusa.com/honeyberry-plants-2.html

I order a Carmine Jewel and a Crimson Passion a few months ago and I don't remember seeing that note then.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

That's good news, very cool! I want to buy this series, but can wait. I actually have to wait I'm moving in a few years.
    Thanks for that info!!

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Ztom,

I ordered Carmen Jewel and Crimson Passion from HoneyberryUSA last year. They sent me two skinny sticks (about a ft tall). I was quite disappointed with the size (considering they were not that cheap). They were sent in tiny 2.5" pots, I believe.

They budded out. I put my CP out on the deck in May (?). It did not survive. It'd be that I put it out a bit too early. I gave CJ to my friend who kept it indoor. It's dead, too.

So, our experience with tiny cherry sticks did not work out as we wanted. Hope you have better luck.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I think the best way to transplant bush cherries is directly into the soil in the fall or spring. Mulch them well and if you plant them in the fall, cover them with a pot during the really cold weather (single digits).

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Sorry for the double entry.

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 7:08

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I got one from Henry Fields and it was a decent tree, small but super healthy. Maybe they will offer all of these eventually too?

• Tony
    10 years ago

I got CJ and CP in the ground going on the fourth year now. They are about five feet tall each. The first winter I took a five gallons Home Depot bucket and covered them up with a brick on top to secure the bucket. They are very healthy with pretty lush green leaves. I should get close to full production with them this year.

Tony

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

What's really great is in the last few years the selecion of tart cherries has increased. NY and MSU bringing trees to the home market. The Romance series finally making it's way over here. The selection of trees has greatly improved.
    Not to mention the standards are rock solid trees.
    The Balaton was the first from MSU, and soon after the Danube and Jubileum. And NY bringing forward Surefire, very cool!

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

We have grown Carmine Jewell for years now. One summer I was sent a sale add from Gurneys or Henry Fields where all trees were 75% off and they sold them for $9 each. I knew in July it was a risk but I planted a row of 10. They are hardy little bushes that I would highly recommend. They don't sucker and grow almost anywhere.

• mdo003
    9 years ago

you can use coupon code 04504152 to get 50% off any order there right now so you can get one for about $30 shipped. ive been thinking about adding a carmine jewel for the last year or two but if I put it in the ground it will be in a pretty visible spot in my yard so will need to look good. its hard to find pics of these things, websites always say carmine jewel is ornamental but ive always thought they look a little scruffy from the small handful of pics ive seen. id also want to train it to look more like a tree than a bush. anyone have pics of full grown romeo bushes or have any comments on the ornamental aspects of romeo vs carmine jewel?

• Tony
    9 years ago

MD,

Just watch the link below. Nice little tree. I have a stand of them.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Carmine Jewel cherry

• don555
    9 years ago

mdo003:
    These aren't full grown, but I think they give you an idea of what to expect. I planted them in May 2011. From left to right, these are Romeo, Juliet, Cupid, and Carmine Jewel.

August 2013:
    {{gwi:66502}}

A clearer view with all the other stuff out of the garden on October 23. Some leaves fallen, especially on the Juliet.
    {{gwi:66503}}

I think it would be very difficult to prune these into a tree form, as they very strongly want to be upright bushes.