Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow storm in the Midwest with 20 miles wind.

Posted by tonytran 5a Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 23:05

Olpea and Midwest folks,

Are you ready for the 8-12" of snows rolling through NE & KS tomorrow around noon? I went out today to harvest some scionwoods so I don't have the deal with the white stuff. On Monday, the weatherman predicts some more snow. Oh well, it is only February!

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow storm in the Midwest with 20 miles wind.

Tony-
Areas to your south are going to cash in big time:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There even saying 5 to 7 inches here, which is enough... with another good storm coming early next week...should easily have a foot of snow on the ground by this time next week... :(

Looking at the long range models, don't expect an early spring.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 15:05

I hear you Tony. The snowstorm actually started here (KC area) around 6:00 this morning. Some traffic still stalled on some interstates at this time. KCI airport is closed. Lots of businesses shut down. KS and MO have both been declared a state of emergency.

I need to harvest some scionwood too, but thought I'd try to wait for the next warm-up.

Spring definitely won't be as early as last year. Last year peaches bloomed the first week of March. It looks like cold weather at least till the end of Feb. After that it would probably take at least two weeks of solid warm weather for peaches to push bloom. If we get normal weather, I wouldn't expect bloom here until early April.

o

Here in north central KS about 1 1/2 feet fell and it is some heavy stuff, as a skier I'd call it, "California concrete" as opposed to the champagne powder (dry stuff) in CO where I grew up. None to soon to get the moisture after last year's drought! Too bad I didn't finish getting the sulfur down under the trees before the snow, oops.

o

Our 'California Concrete' is just beginning to melt. We have had major tree damage on Aquidneck Island here in RI. The tree damage we've had between hurricane Sandy and the last snow/ice storm is truly huge. Being the tree capital of America, it is hard to see the ancient trees go, let alone 'natures pruning' with clumps of ice and snow on limbs. I feel your pain, but at least your snow will turn to water! Mrs. G

o

The snow has kept me home here in Central Missouri. I had planned to go to Nebraska for the bench grafting workshop that the Nebraska Nut Growers are putting on tomorrow..
I am happy for precipitation in almost any form here. So really not trying to complain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here