Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Almond Tree Questions

Posted by GreenDreamhome Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 23:16

1. I was just reading that almond tree blossoms smell like honey. Is that true? That would be cool!

2. I've read that there are self-pollinating almond trees, or you can plant two young almond trees in one hole, and they will intertwine like one tree but still pollinate each other. Which is the best option?

3. I've read that almond trees grow to about 20 feet. Other fruit trees can be pruned to limit their height. Is it the same for almond trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Almond Tree Questions

1. Yes, they smell like honey.

2. Garden prince almond is a self-pollinating tree (it has peach in its parentage), it's a Zaiger variety.

3. Yes, you could also prune them to limit their height.

o

Thanks! Garden Prince looks like a great choice, especially since it's already a shorter tree. I will look for them in my area.

o

Here is my Garden Prince tree. About 4 years old, 6 -1/2 ft. tall. Put out lots of almonds last year, unfortunately, squirrels got all in just one day. I will net this year.

o

That is a beautiful tree letsski! Mine just went in a few months ago so it's much smaller. Nice to see what I (hopefully) have to look forward to :-)

o

No 1 is true. Our whole area has the smell of Almond blossoms.

2) Garden Prince. There is also the all-in-one. Dave Wilson also came out with the Independence variety which is self-fertile. It is currently only available commercially, but that could change. The second part of No.2 is incorrect. Planting two young trees in one hole does not accomplish anything if the almond varieties are incompatible.

Almond trees can grow up to 20 feet. The ultimate size of the tree is influenced by the type of rootstock and variety. Some almond trees end up considerably shorter.

o

Very pretty almond tree. I wonder how far north they are hardy?

o

I have a very pretty All-In-One that I've only had for 2 years. I have not had almonds, which may be true more often than not in my zone because of the bloom time, but the blooms are so lovely! I could even tell they were scented, and I didn't have many yet.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how healthy the tree and foliage are. We're very humid here, and the soil doesn't have excellent drainage. Good, but not excellent. My orchard does get nice wind, so that cuts down on the humidity by air flow. Still, it's a healthy sort of tree, imho. It needed less care than most of what I grow :)

o

Would any almond trees be able to take high (100°+ F) August heat & drought in Dallas, TX (8a) or just south of that (8b)?

Especially without any extra watering, other than natural rainfall (~34"-40" annual rainfall)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat & drought?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here