Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bullet08_gw

where to buy sweetcrisp blueberry plants?

bullet08
10 years ago

i already did extensive search, and follow on the leads i saw on this forum. however, most everyone has sold out and few that are listed doesn't really seem to be selling one or two to home gardeners. others who are selling them are sold out.

any possible lead on where i might be able to purchase sweetcrip blueberry plants? i'm looking to two 1 gal plants.

pete

Comments (21)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

IsTrue Blue Plants out of them?

Real Flora has five, size is small, and price is huge!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetcrisp

• bullet08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i called the true blue plants, but the number is no longer active.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I heard they were going belly up. I guess it's true!
    Real Flora has 5 left, expensive, otherwise I don't see it anywhere! A shame!! I know a number of nurseries in Florida have it, they don't do mail order. Maybe Bamboo Rabbit can tell us which nurseies have it and you can take a road trip! I guess if far, you might as well dish out the bucks. The nursery seems OK, but I know nothing about Real Flora? Seems like a decent tropical nursery.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

True blue is out of business.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have been reading up on Sweetcrisp and it says it's easy to propagate from cuttings, but may still be under patent?
    Bluecrisp has some dieback problems and may be why it's not popular, or the fact it really does suck if fruitnut is correct. I appreciate the heads up to avoid, and I will!
    It's crazy sweetcrisp is so hard to find! Well i ordered one from Real Flora, bit the bullet, pulled out the checkbook. I'll let you know what i think. They are holding till April. I'll report on it when i can.

• bullet08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

had few offer for cuttings, but i think it's still under patent. and don't want to wait 3-4 yrs for the fruit. beside, it's not very expensive. just trying to find a good place to order one..

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I bought a Sweetcrisp from Island Grove Ag Products in Florida last year, along with a few other cultivars. I certainly wouldn't recommend them (terrible packaging resulted in a lot of damage, plus several plants were in poor condition to start with), but, since you can't find Sweetcrisp anywhere else, they might be an option for you. I did notice, though, that their store is currently down for maintenance.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

I called Island grove they stop retail that reason site down be 60 days come back as wholesale site. The gent was nice his info was to try Berry Unlimited, but they out of plants right now but will have some later this season this only one he new that would sell 1 to 2 are 3 plants at time. More calls are orders Berry unlimited get more likely they get more plants this season.

• stuf2do
    10 years ago

I've ordered Sweetcrisp from "BerriesPlus.com" As you add more plants to your order, the cost per plant goes down quite a bit. ie. one plant is 18.99, two plants are @ 14.99/ ea and so on. I was very happy. They respond within a day or so via any email questions. They also ship to CA, as I know quite a few members had been asking about that possibility.

I've been following the Fruit/Orchard forum for over a year now. I've drunk the kool-aid, so to speak, and just want to put out a quick thanks to all posters, experienced through novice. I have learned a bunch!

Hope this helps someone out. Best....

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Berries Unlimited and Real Flora, I think are the same company. They sell exactly the same plants.
    Much like Gurneys and Henry Fields. Except they actually sell a few different items. Mosly the same. Unlimited and Flora pretty much sell exactly the same plants. Use the same web template with a few changes.

• bullet08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks folks, just ordered two Sweetcrisp from berries plus. that place had fair price when ordering two.

• stuf2do
    10 years ago

I think you'll be happy with them. I got mine late november last year. They came well packaged and looked fresh. I potted them up via the Dave Wilson planting recomendations. They have grown quite a bit and already are flowering! It is odd that in ordering you don't know what the price per plant is until you keep entering the qty you want...the more you order, the less per plant......

• bullet08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for pointing out the source. i have 4 different blueberries coming in from a different source. hope all of them works out. with 6 bushes, i should have enough blueberries for my wife and i. love blueberries,

all my trees are figs, so it will be a welcoming change :)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have 6 plants too, but all different cultivars. 3 NHB and 3 SHB. I just made soil for the incoming plants. I used 2 parts peat, 1 part pine bark fines and 1 part Diatomaceous earth. I was going to use pumice, but DE is better. I added some organic blueberry fertilizer, and a handful of sulfur, some azomite and powdered kelp. I'll add beneficial bacteria and fungi when i plant.

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

Sounds like yall are well on your way! Happy growing;)

• MrClint
    10 years ago

stuf2do, the DWN instructions have worked very well for me for a number of years now. As a result BB have been pretty easy. I've gone fully organic with mine. My only knock on BB is that they are very thirsty plants, so you have to be diligent with watering. I may try a couple next year in EarthBoxes just to make them even easier.

Drew51 & bullet08, I have six BB plants as well and that seems to be plenty for my wife and I for fresh eating and some freezing. I wouldn't want to harvest more plants than that, I just don't have that kind of free time! :)

• bullet08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mrclint, do you have link to the DWN instructions? i would like to read about it if possible.

thanks,
    pete

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

I bought mine form Just Fruits and Exotics. 3 yr ("3 gal") and they are already fruiting.

• stuf2do
    10 years ago

Here ya go...DW also has some good you tube videos about growing blueberries, varieties, etc. Just go to there website and you should find the videos through their links (Home Garden section)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Soil Mix

• stuf2do
    10 years ago

Actually, this is the one I meant to post...

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting mix for Blueberries

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

That mix will work fine. I myself prefer to add more moisture retention amendments, like perlite, pumice, or DE.
    Creates more air for the roots too. I would also only use pine or fir bark.