Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend strawberry and apricot varieties for Northern Cal?

Posted by riotbrrd z9 / Sunset z15 / No (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 23:30

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on strawberry and apricot varieties to plant. I'm in Campbell, CA (near San Jose).

For strawberries, I'm planning to plant quite a few. In shady areas, I'll plant some Fragaria Vesca. In my sunnier, raised bed spots, I'll plant regular strawberries, both short-day and day neutral. From research, if looks like I should try Seascape and Sequoia. Any other recommendations? I'll be growing organically, so fungus resistant is a plus. And for qualities, I'm all about the FLAVOR! I don't care so much about size or appearance.

For apricots, I'm going to do a multi-tree planting in a small area. I know one tree will be a Blenheim. For the second tree, I'd like something that will extend my apricot season a bit, either before or after the blenheims. And again, I care most about the flavor, not the size. I don't want an aprium, plucot, or Turducken. I want a good, honest fruit that tastes like an apricot. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend strawberry and apricot varieties for Northern Cal?

Check this list out from Santa Clara MG...

I'm near 85/Camden. Have a goldkist apricot but it's young, haven't tried it yet.

I have seascape, sequoia, and a few others. All of them are good when left to ripen fully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Picks

o

Moorpark or Robada for apricots (Goldensweet is the best apricot, but they are hard to find)

I am not too sure about that Master Gardener list--it has a persimmon listed as an Asian Pear!

Carla in Sac

o

Ha Ha! The women who put that list together is well known in the bay area for growing/trying many fruits. She even has a strain of passiflora edulis named after her. Probably a typo..

Santa Clara valley was full of cherries/plums/apricots before it became Silicon Valley. All stone fruit grows great here unless its really high chill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here