Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Blueberry and Grape Plants

Posted by mzcountrychic TN (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 23:32

I picked up a blueberry plant and two white seedless grapes. Do I have to wait til the chance of frost is over before I plant them? The weather has been mostly mild, but we have dipped down in temps a few times. Also, the blueberry plant doesn't say anything about pollinating or self-pollinating?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Blueberry and Grape Plants

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 1:16

I'm not too sure about when to plant them. I think I put mine in April of 2007 and we were still in danger of frost.

As for the blueberry it is a good idea to have at least 2 plants and each being a different variety that blooms about the same time. The cross pollination has been found to increase production. I am not sure if they are self pollinating or not.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:25

The blueberry will be happiest if it goes into the ground sooner, rather than later. Is it still dormant, or has it sprouted green leaves and started to flower? It's best if the blueberry shrub is dormant when planted. Blueberry shrubs are native plants, and they have natural resistance to frost. There are some varieties sold for planting in the south, that are less tolerant of frost, so you have to specify the variety.

o

I just picked up another blueberry plant. The package just said to mulch to protect it from frost. Went out and bought some mulch. How far apart should I plant them? They are both Blue Ray. They are both dormant, one has a tiny leaf.

o

It depends on how big you intend to let them get. Blueberries can turn into small trees if you let them.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 10:36

Commercial blueberry growers typically space the shrubs at 8 feet. Our blueberry shrubs do fine 4 feet apart, and 3 feet is OK. What happens when they are closer together is that they get maybe 4 or 5 feet tall, and no higher. But they are still green and healthy, and they still make flowers and fruit. For maximum fruit per shrub, 8 foot spacing is best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here