Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedarkness_gw

fruit buds?

thedarkness
11 years ago

i was wondering if these are fruit buds, or buds for new branches

[IMG]http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/fruit/msg0217063729214.0217074310532.jpg[IMG/]

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

first.. i think.. since i dont use GW to upload pix.. you need the HTML code .... w/o the [IMG] in front and back.. so your pic pops up in the post ...

i dont know what particular part you are talking about.. fruit forms on small stub branches... [i dont know the correct fruit term] .... so yes.. there should be buds there ...

does that answer your question??? .. if not.. figure out how to manipulate you pic with an editor .. and circle the part you want knowledge on ....

and as per your other posts .. i highly doubt.. you can grow apples in the basement with a couple hours of diffuse light .... almost all 'production' plants need full blistering sun to perform to expectation .... in this case meaning.. a big shiny apple ....

ken

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I looked at your picture(got a crook in my neck!). Now tell me what I saw. Al

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Looks like a sweet cherry? I have no idea if you have fruit buds there...

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

thedarkness, can you post the html code (not the .jpg code or the http code, but the HTML code) and turn your photo so it is oriented correctly? Hard to see crooking your neck! And, what are we looking at, apple, cherry? Looks like fruitng spurs, but helpful to know a few things - first, what fruit tree are we looking at, how old is the tree, how old is this branch (first year, second year wood)?

Patty S.

• thedarkness
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it is an apple tree, maybe 10 years or so, and that branch mybe half that. i have not really taken an interest in it up untill recently, so i have not been looking at it closely and thats why i have no idea what these things were. that picture has them circle, just to help a lil, and the branch is at a weird angle, should i try tieng it to the leader to get it upright? it is still pretty thin as it mostly shot upward. thanks for all the comments, and ken i knew it wouldnt bear fruit inddors, but i like the way an apple tree looks and thought it would be cool to have one indoors.

11 years ago

Those appear to be fruiting spurs on your branch that will bloom then produce apples. And, an apple tree will simply not survive indoors as a houseplant.

Patty S.

• thedarkness
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for explaning what they are to me- this tree has never fruited i think 1 or 2 flowers in past few years, with those small stick thingys all over the tree, how many apples can i expect?

11 years ago

Depends upon whether or not you have another apple tree that blooms at the same time for cross pollination, the darkness. I see you have a parallel thread to this one about the same tree? Perhaps we should stick to one message thread, so we don't duplicate answers for you. I think fruitnut has given you some great advice on the other message thread. Just make sure you've got a second apple tree that is a suitable cross pollinator. Do you know what variety apple this is? That will help us to advise you on an appropriate cross pollinator that blooms at the same time.

Patty S.

• thedarkness
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i do not know what variety this tree is, i believe it is a true one though since it was purchased at menards or something. the other tree i have i have know idea if it is true or not, but the apples are decent and strangely remind me of koolaid. i have not had a fruiting on that tree in years. i believe that is due to it becoming to big, and lack of pruiinging. i appolagize for the parralel thread, i made this one because the other one was lagging behind, so i made a second that was a direct question, to see if i could get more responses- thanks for the help from evberyone on both threads, i am a newbie at this and probably will need more in the future.- and to go back to the indoor thing, would starting the tree inside be ok if it is near a high light window, and a lizard tank with a special uv light directing at it from 630 in morning till 10 at night?