Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
East Coast plum cuttings wanted, preferably Shiro

Posted by armyofda12mnkeys 7a, Phila (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 23:44

Hey all,
I wanted to graft a plum variety onto what I believe is a japanese plum. It doesn't taste too good, so thought I'd see if anyone had some cuttings to graft onto a lower branch and eventually replace it if it stinks this year too...

I'm on the east coast, Philadelphia, PA.... I think I read scottfsmith report that Shiro and Satsuma are good here and maybe others (but you sacrifice best flavor for disease resistance on east coast)...
I have some stuff to trade, can email me on this site i think.

Just let me know,
-Ari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: East Coast plum cuttings wanted, preferably Shiro

You don't sacrifice best flavor for disease resistance. Shiro is popular for reliable productivity- it is not more disease resistant than Satsuma or Santa Rosa.

Shiro has been more prone to cracking in wet weather at ripening time than Satsuma or especially Santa Rosa for me. They all can get brown rot and black knot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here