Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiku Apples?

Posted by thecityman 7a/6b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 23:49

Our local Wal-Mart has a whole display, complete with signs declaring "Finally here" and "Exciting new fruit" and "The sweetest apple you will ever taste". That last claim is also printed on the special bags the apples are in. Those bags also tell how an Italian Apple farmer, while touring a Japanese orchard, discovered one oddball tree in middle of the orchard and took cuttings back to Italy for development. Now, I'm not gullible enough to believe this marketing ploy, but it did leave me a little curious. I'm sure its not the "sweetest apple you will ever taste" and I'm dubious of the origin printed on the bags, but I'd like to know a little more about the KIKU apple. Know anything about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiku Apples?

Yes. the Italian patented this variety as Kiku, which was a sport of a Fuji apple. I bought a bag a few years ago and it was real sweet and crunchy. I planted a seed for fun but apple never grow true from a seed.

Tony

o

hmmm...maybe there is something to this after all? Does anyone sell kiku trees?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 20:00

I've had Kiku several times. They weren't the best Fuji's I've had. Its possible that they are on average better than other sports of Fuji, but variation within a given sport seems bigger than the difference between this sport and others.

I think Kiku is a club contract apple so I don't think the trees are sold retail.

o

We just started displaying them in the supermarket in which I work- they went in this morning. Never seen 'em before and haven't cut one open yet. They're three bucks a pound.

"Sweet" isn't the first thing I look for in an apple, so I don't care too much. We also have Ambrosia and Opal new this year- don't know what to make of all the new varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here