Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for more varieties of avocado

Posted by yukkuri_kame 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 23:54

I'm cross-posting this from the california gardening sub-forum.

I am looking to diversify my avocado collection via grafting. Ideal time for grafting avos is just after last frost, which is first week in March up here in Sunland/Tujunga, foothills area of Los Angeles. So that's coming up in a couple of weeks.

I currently have 3 avow. I have a big, very productive and healthy haas.

The other one is in it's second year of production on my sister's property. I think it's another Haas, but not certain.

Lastly, I have a little seedling from a Reed pit, that is about 1yr old in a container. I call it a 'Reedling'

I am planning on grafting a bit of the the reedling onto my big haas, to see if I can get it to fruiting quicker that way.

I am also looking to diversify and would love to obtain some buds or wood from established trees of other cultivars.

I'm particularly interested in the following:

Sharwil
Carmen-Haas (sounds wonderful!)
Lamb Haas
Reed
Fuerte
Bacon
Pinkerton
Green Gold

But I'm totally open to receiving material from any cultivar other than haas, as long as it's from fruiting wood.

Don't have much to trade as far as avocados go, just the haas and reedling. But I have a bunch of other interesting stuff for trade. Happy to drive to get what I am looking for.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for more varieties of avocado

Okay, two places you can check: Epicenter Nursery: http://www.epicenteravocados.com/
and Atkins Nursery: http://www.sub-tropicalfruittrees.com/

They both carry the varieties you're after, with the exception of Green Gold. Atkins does not ship, so this would be a bit of a trek to Fallbrook, but Atkins has expanded their avocado varieties, so it might be worth a little day trip for you. Lastly, you might also try your local California Rare Fruit Growers chapter for any varieties that these two nurseries do not provide. You may be able to procure some budwood. Be sure to start some seedlings from Mexicola seeds if you can (good option for rootstock).

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patty S.!

I don't have the cash for buying multiple $40 trees right now. But I'm fine with starting seedlings, collecting budwood and grafting to my existing trees for a couple of years.

My adopted father grew up on an avocado ranch in San Diego county. He said the grew mostly haas grafted on fuerte rootstock, and also used fuerte as a cross-pollinator. But that was 50 years ago, we've come a long way.

Hopefully I can get my hands on some mexicola seeds.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and join CRFG.

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 11:29

I grew up on my parents Avo ranch in N. San diego C
They grew mostly fuertes, haas and Nabal.
The Nabal is my very favorite. If I had my choice that would be the one I would plant/graft.
If you are trying to keep the cost down, we bought a fuerte @ Wal mart in N. San diego C (under $20.00) and the thing grew like crazy. Produced after only a few years. Some times you just get plain lucky

o

Thanks for the suggestions campv. I will add nabal to the list!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here