Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yukkuri_kame

looking for more varieties of avocado

yukkuri_kame
11 years ago

I'm cross-posting this from the california gardening sub-forum.

I am looking to diversify my avocado collection via grafting. Ideal time for grafting avos is just after last frost, which is first week in March up here in Sunland/Tujunga, foothills area of Los Angeles. So that's coming up in a couple of weeks.

I currently have 3 avow. I have a big, very productive and healthy haas.

The other one is in it's second year of production on my sister's property. I think it's another Haas, but not certain.

Lastly, I have a little seedling from a Reed pit, that is about 1yr old in a container. I call it a 'Reedling'

I am planning on grafting a bit of the the reedling onto my big haas, to see if I can get it to fruiting quicker that way.

I am also looking to diversify and would love to obtain some buds or wood from established trees of other cultivars.

I'm particularly interested in the following:

Sharwil
Carmen-Haas (sounds wonderful!)
Lamb Haas
Reed
Fuerte
Bacon
Pinkerton
Green Gold

But I'm totally open to receiving material from any cultivar other than haas, as long as it's from fruiting wood.

Don't have much to trade as far as avocados go, just the haas and reedling. But I have a bunch of other interesting stuff for trade. Happy to drive to get what I am looking for.

Comments (4)