Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries in AZ.

Posted by CaptainInsano Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 23:56

I recently purchased a couple little Legacy Blueberry plants, I am skeptical about how these will do in my area (Peoria, Arizona) but they were inexpensive so why not try. I heard they are self pollinating but will do better with another variety in the area as well, what are a few varieties that will do well here, or are there any? I bought them at a retail store, and they were the only variety there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries in AZ.

Captain,
Most likely Southern Highbush,like Sunshine Blue,Misty,Emerald.The list goes on.
Legacy is a hybrid,so it sort of falls in that category.
Your area looks to be in Zone 9.
Are they going to be in containers?I'm not sure what the soil is like there,but if it's like a California type,alkaline,then that might be best. Brady

o

Yes, I was planning on containers, the soil here (if you can call it that) is not good for much without a lot of amending. They are approx. 22" x 24" hopefully that is OK.

o

C...actually, planting in containers (blueberries) is probably a great idea. Planting in an acidic medium is very important! The easiest way to do this is buy an azelia/camelia potting soil. I know Az can get intensely hot. Maybe placing your pots in a location that filters the afternoon sun would be a good idea. goodluck

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 11:28

You will need to test your irrigation water for pH, to be successful with blueberry shrubs. If you are on a municipal supply, that information should be available for free, from the water utility. If you can collect rainwater, or snow-melt, that would be best for watering your blueberry shrubs, because it will be slightly acidic or pH neutral. If you are using well water, or tap water that contains dissolved limestone, you may have to periodically add a small amount of sulfur to your soil mix to maintain acidic soil pH. At some point, you will have to do pH testing to see where the process is at. This is not very hard to learn, and not very expensive, either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here