• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the link that sell them.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet jujube

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

Tony I have not grown those specific jujube's and don't know anything about that website but I can tell you seedling jujube will grow in zone 5. Keep in mind they say seedling so your jujube may wind up being marble sized. My jujube I got from edible landscaping and I purchased is a li. My understanding is the fruit may or May not ripen for us because they take a long time to ripen up. No pests or disease have bothered my tree. They are a beautiful tree with thorns. My tree has been in the ground 4 years enduring the major drought we just went through. The drought killed trees 20 years old. Hope that helps

• danzeb
    10 years ago

They look good but minimum order is 1000 to 2000 pieces. They look great and I'd like one. if 1000 of us chipped in it would be a good deal.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

I know these. If ripe, the fresh ones are really sweet and delicious. The fresh fruit has a unique flavor that is different from all other fruits.

The center of each fruit is a pit that is the shape of an olive pit.

If processed these become something very similar to dates - only a little more fruity.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I'll agree jujube are sweet and have a unique flavor. Trouble is the fresh flavor might be described as a cross between the infamous cardboard and green apples. But I'll admit those pictured above look interesting and I did have a good dried one once.

I've got seven trees I'd sell. Couldn't give them away maybe they'd sell....;-)

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

Fruitnut I have heard you can graft them on Osage orange hAve you had any experience with that? What kind of jujube do you grow?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

No knowledge about grafting on osage orange. I grafted some on local seedling jujube which worked well.

I had Honey Jar but it froze out 24F last May. Still have Sugar Cane, Sherwood, Li, Shanxi Li, and three local varieties with big fruit.

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

Sounds like you have a lot of good jujube's. Do your Li ripen fast?

• strudeldog_gw
    10 years ago

CHE will graft to Osage Orange Jujube will not

• sdpelletier
    10 years ago

The best tasting Jujubes are GI762(aka Chico), Honey Jar, & Sugar cane. The russian ones are interesting too. The 3 that I mentioned are very sweet. Li and Lang are the worst tasting ones. I don't know why they are always recommended. Sihong is very good also. But doesn't seem as consistent at bearing fruit. Jujubes and extremely easy to grow in Texas east of I-35.

Chico has very sweet apple flavor .
    Honey jar tastes like maple syrup it is soo sweet.
    Sugarcane is all around delicious similar in taste to Honey Jar.

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

Thanks strudeldog. Sdp we grow li because they are hardy enough to live in zone 5 . Maybe there will someday be other cold hardy varieties. Thanks for the info Fruitnut

• sdpelletier
    10 years ago

I have read that many jujube's do not ripen well in colder climate, maybe the russian cultivars would work? It is unfortunate that the seedless variety brought to the states by Frank Meyer was lost. The "mu" jujube is nearly seedless but the flavor is a bit like Li. If it is picked at perfect ripeness it's not bad. The main jujube pest here are stink bugs. Fortunately other things are not interested.
    It seems like Jujubes are becoming more known.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

My Shanxi-li (sp?) ripened it's first crop last year in a pot. I planted it finally last fall.

The reason I wanted to grow them is because it has a calming effect on the nerves. There is one on the way to my kid's school and out of curiosity we grabbed a few that had fallen to the ground. My ADHD son said they made him feel calm. When I looked it up, sure enough, they do have a calming effect. Hope I can get a bigger crop this year.

These are just a few of the sites I found on jujube, there are many more.

http://paulchong.net/2012/11/28/jujube-fruit-chinese-date-health-benefits/

Here is a link that might be useful: Health benefits of Jujube fruit

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by sdpelletier 8b (My Page) on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 2:11

Chico has very sweet apple flavor .
    Honey jar tastes like maple syrup it is soo sweet.
    Sugarcane is all around delicious similar in taste to Honey Jar.

I like your using maple syrup to describe the sweetness of jujubee. The fresh jujubee fruits I had are crispy and very sweet even when it is green. The cut surface is sticky due to the sugar. But the flavor is unique. It is different from maple. It is a unique flavor as pronounced and sweet as maple, but it is a different flavor. If jujubee flesh are used in baking goodies, the jujubee flavor could be enhanced.