Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
arbor size for hardy kiwi

Posted by alexander3 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 0:19

I have a male and female hardy kiwi (A. arguta) in pots, and plan to plant them in the ground this season. I'm thinking about building a hexagonal arbor with two or three benches underneath. It would be 8 or 10 feet across. Would such a structure be large enough to accommodate both vines? I've read several times how vigorous these vines are, but don't really have a good feel for how much space they take.

The other option is a T-bar trellis along a fence. It's 25 feet long with a 4 foot gate in the middle, so each vine would get about 10 feet of trellis. That site gets a bit less sun and is more protected from wind.
I'm in zone 6 in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: arbor size for hardy kiwi

Alex,
I've been searching for the same answer. I have a kiwi vine planted next to my neighbor fence, and just got a male kiwi as well.
I'm still deciding on what I need. I asked the same question in a different forum and I received some ideas.
I'm in the Lehigh valley also.
Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape and kiwi trellis

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 21:04

My kiwi arbor is probably a little small (I have 8 kiwi's around it) but it is 2 feet deep, 8 feet long and 6+ feet high.

As you can see my arbor is located against a wooden fence and I wish I had a more recent picture, this one is about 4 years old about now.

Arbor, kiwi

~Chills

o

Bass,

Thanks for the link!

Chills,

8 vines must really turn your arbor into quite a mass of leaves! Are you getting fruit yet?

Alex

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 08 at 11:07

My males have bloomed, but my females haven't, so no fruit yet.

The shade within the arbor is pretty deep. The vines have closed up both sides, the back and would close up the front if I didn't prune.

I've only got 5 of the vines on the arbor itself, the other three are along the fence further down and one has tried climbing the cable line to the pole. (I have to cut it back each year)

~Chills

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here