konrad___far_north

Orchard Pictures 2013

Konrad___far_north
11 years ago

We got snow again the other day

Last weekend
{{gwi:67572}}

From Febr.16
Pruned out dead wood on the Evans cherries,..not full hardy for my climate.
{{gwi:67574}}

Just took the first pink apple juice in from under the snow, these were from the Red Wonder and some of my seedling apples, also pink, about the size of Trailman Crab.

This juice I really like, it's got a nice tangy bite to it but still sweet, checked Brix, around 10.2

Looking into the fridge, on the right is the pink juice, on the left, Evans cherry from the keg.

{{gwi:67576}}

Link to old thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchard Pictures 2012

Comments (66)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Those rasps will like it in all that sun.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

So, so gorgeous! Your orchard is a work of art :)

But hey, why does Bambi not wreak havoc around there? Branches too high?

I'm going to have to decide on a deer strategy for my new little orchard. Bambi pruned my nectarine for me recently ;) She did a great job, actually, lol. But that will have to stop.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Konrad so beautiful. My orchard after seven years is finally taking off. I have trees that really look like trees. I hope next year is a better fruit year for me and I wish my orchard was as orderly as yours! Just beautiful.. Still want juice and honey. Mrs. G

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!
    >>But hey, why does Bambi not wreak havoc around there?I put farm wire loop around when small, these trees are fairly large,...in the summer deer just nibble off leaves, moose will prune ends sometimes, in winter they do more damage, they can pull down branches because their diet is mostly woody plants.

Most apple trees are taking a rest this year, some have a little.

{{gwi:67586}}

{{gwi:67587}}

{{gwi:67588}}

{{gwi:67589}}

• northernmn
    10 years ago

Great pictures! Especially of the moose. Where these picts taken with a store bought trail camera, or the home made one that you designed?

That dude is tall enough so that he can harvest the whole apple tree for you. What a nice guy! However, you may not like how he processes the apple juice.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL..yeah, I always get a kick out of moose pictures,..surprises surprise, these guy's have no fear, not like deer, one tree I started to pick with a ladder in the evening, ..figured moose might clean it up over night, so then I lay the ladder down, V shape spreading both side of trunk and sticking beyond, ..moose didn't care!
    One thing about wildlife, they come and eat for only a short period,..not like us humans, the hunter and gatherer would kick in and clean up everything.

Yes, these pictures are of my homebuild, using a W7 Sony camera, got two others out using Sony DSC- S600 and Sony S40, got cheap second hand, the hacking wiring soldering is the worst, haven't build anymore for a couple of year and I don't think I will build more.

Here is a unique picture because two cameras fired the same time, ...the one on the left giving another light source from the flash.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This camera took over 50 pictures blank/dark, ...forgot to set flash, again, light source from the other camera on the left.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Those are great shots of the orchard and wildlife! This area of ontario is pretty much that same idea; you live near any forest you have moose, deer rabbits and bears. Deer live in the middle of the city in patches of woodland and travel around the city using the bike paths. Ive almost hit them coming around a blind corner. These deer are fearless and didnt even flinch. People here feed them too much... then they wonder why they walk in the middle of the road or come into the city....

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Canadianplant!

This fall I don't have much wildlife to deal with,..I like it!
    One male moose was only around for one week, this Whitetail mom with two offspring.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here a newsclip from Sweden.
    Drunken moose stuck in a apple tree!

Here is a link that might be useful: Drunken Moose!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I was picking these Golden Spice pears.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some mystery apples still on the tree,...need a name!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These tamarck, [Larix laricina] grown from seeds, getting a splending fall color.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At the nursery.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Wowo Konrad, how tall is that pear?

Call those mystery apples "Konrads Krisp" LOL

Love the tamarak. They are all over here.

• mes111
    10 years ago

K

PLEASE ADOPT ME AND AND CAN I MOVE IN !!!!!!!!!

MIKE

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL..thanks!

That pear looks taller then it looks because I'm on a hill.
    The tree, John or David was about a 6 footer when I planted it in 1982, since, I grafted it over to some others but the main top is now Golden Spice, the latest to ripen, [you want a late one on top].. about 25 feet tall.

These from about 10 days ago, Collet Apple, great late apple
    which are resistant to Apple maggots, I find most late apples are better against this pest. After each bucket of apples picked, a bunch of ladybugs were in the bucket! It seems, it just happens that only on these apples I have lots of ladybugs.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ladybugs are on the stems.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the bucket.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back to that pear tree, found a picture from a bottom branch with John or David pear, great producer!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Supreme Plums were loaded this year.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patterson's Pride Plum, a weeping tree, bears on small trees.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a first out in the orchard, some Valiant grapes.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At the pond late summer, been planting waterlilies, killed some by not taking them home in the fall, these here survived the winter for about 3 years, it can work with lots of snow cover and water table high.

Happy thanksgiving Canada!

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

i was wondering if it were on a hill.... Thats a nice aged tree then. Sounds like you did what Im planning to do to my John. Also an amazing amount of fruit.

I got to taste mine. I do see what you mean about the flavor. Tastes like it would be good to cook with to some degree at least.... thats a ton of fruit indeed.

Looks like youre getting a bit of an indian summer as well (knocking on wood). Hope winter doesnt hit to fast this year!

• mes111
    10 years ago

K

Those pears and plums are a nice size.

All the sage advice is to thin them to get large size fruit. These don't look like they were thinned.
    . Did you thin these.? If not... then what did you do to get them togrow thos size?

If you did thin.... then at what time and how much space between?

Mike

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CDN
    The sour pears, still have them stored and will be mixing into apple juice,..hopefully this weekend.

Mes
    No, didn't thin them, [John or David]
    The Golden Spice are naturally thinned.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Harvest season came to a end and picked the last apples, ..

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And made some juice, mixing in some red flesh, [red wonder]
    turned out that this one is easy to drink on it's own.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red Wonder Juice..

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red wonder pulp..

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From Oct. 2

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From Oct. 9

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Moose...same one, striped this tree in 10 min.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posing...

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Konrad I am consistently in awe of your talents for growing. The fruit is amazing as always. Thank you so much for the pics. Mrs. G

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Scary to think that moose is only a few years old...

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost over with harvest this year,...will be juicing lots of Sept. Ruby apples.

This from yesterday, we had a hard frost about 2 weeks ago, went down to around minus 6C. In a nutshell,....it was a short season, late spring and early Sept. frost,..other then that, a good warm summer with enough rain, hardly ever needed to water the veggie garden.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The above picture,..apples I thinned out.

If not, ..they come in bundles!

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Konrad,
    Any chance to show us an interior cut of those apples? Red fleshed apples sound great! Very impressive orchard!

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 7:56

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

I always love seeing your pics. Great stuff.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

This is easily the best collection of submitted photos I've ever seen. Incredible Konrad....absolutely incredible. Sets my mind to dreaming.
    Thanks so much for posting. Wow.

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    9 years ago

Konrad I think you should start a new 2014 orchard thread....It's going to be 2015 soon!
    Apples look good, mine always seem to have some sort of bug scarring on them. Did all your varieties have a chance to ripen fully with the short season this year?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    Think I can skip 2014,....almost over.

>>Did all your varieties have a chance to ripen fully with the short season this year?Sort of,...the minus 6C. 21.2F about 3 weeks ago, some suffered damage, a plum which was still green totally froze and are dark brown now.

>>Any chance to show us an interior cut of those apples?Sept. Ruby, endured around minus 6C. 21.2F one night about 3 weeks ago.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

The above picture,..apples I thinned out.
    If not, ..they come in bundles!

What variety is this tree Konrad?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sept. Ruby

• Tha Pranksta
    9 years ago

Your pictures look just as good or better than in a magazine. I always have to stop and marvel at them. Beautiful stuff. You inspire me to keep trying even when squirrels have stripped my tree bare.

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    9 years ago

Konrad- I'm slowly developing my own little mixed fruit orchard and for whatever reason I didn't have much interest in apples. You and you're incredible photos have single handedly changed my mind....who wouldn't be thrilled to have trees filled with large, beautiful, dense fruit like yours?!?! Even an amateur like me knows its not easy to get such large, perfectly shaped, unblemished apples! The fact that you do it so far north with such short seasons just makes it all the more impressive. Way to go, my friend. And thank you for sharing. You honestly have inspired me.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Great apples Konrad ! When that variety becomes available in my area I want to get some of them. Thanks for posting an interior cut picture!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You very welcome, my hopes is to inspire others and have as much fun as I do....happy 2015!