Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lapins or Stella in coastal SoCal?

Posted by ahajmano Sunset 23 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 1:27

Anyone else experimenting with lapins or Stella in coastal SoCal? I have about 400 hours of chill. Mission viejo Cali here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lapins or Stella in coastal SoCal?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 9:43

I think I've been short on chilling in my greenhouse. The self fruitful that sets best is Sonata. Rainier is the best that needs a pollinator. I don't have Stella but do Lapins. Sonata sets better than Lapins. Sonata is very large and a bit tart unless fully ripe. But when fully ripe it's very good.

In general I've had a harder time setting fruit on the self fertile than on those that need a pollinator. The primary issue is deformed flower parts and lack of pollen.

I'll know for certain next year if my issue is chilling. I'm going all out to get more than enough next winter.

o
RE: Lapins or Stella in coastal SoCal?

I have both Stella and Lapins (ultradwarfs in containers) here at the Central Coast (just a block or two from the back bay). They both bloomed and fruited a little last year. I expect they will do so again based on the looks of their swelling buds.

According to the recently posted chill calculator we got somewhere between 400-500 hrs this past season, That's more than I always assumed we would get so just to be sure I have these trees in a spot that gets no sun from Fall to early Spring. Seems to be working so far.

The other experiment that also seems to be working is a planting of Minnie Royal and Royal Lee in a similar shaded situation. These trees are still in the shade and have not bloomed yet. Meanwhile, two potted trees of the same variety that started getting some sun in January, began blooming in mid-February. I'm trying to miss the rains that ruin stone fruit crops during bloom and plan on putting some apricots in a similar situation.

We'll see.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here