Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When you see a bug/insect you aren't familiar with...

Posted by peterechs 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 1:38

...what do you do?

I have mostly fruit trees (persimmon, necatarine, and asian pear) with some blueberry and raspberry bushes. On occasion, when I am examining my trees/berries, I come across a bug/insect I don't recognize. And unfortunately at these times, I do not have immediate access to something I could use to catch the bug.

So my question to you all is, what if you don't know if a bug/insect is beneficial or harmful. Is it better to squish it (the better safe than sorry approach) or leave it alone (hope it didn't already lay its eggs)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When you see a bug/insect you aren't familiar with...

You don't need to catch it, just ask it to pose for a picture. I have lots of bug references, and there is lots more on line. Your local county extension service will also be happy to look at the picture and give your bug a name, even telling you if it is good or bad for your plants. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here