Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ume Plum flowers but doesn't fruit

Posted by yukkuri_kame 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 1:56

The tree is about 5 years old, in the ground at that location for 3 years. It flowers, but doesn't fruit. Not my tree, I'm asking on behalf of an acquaintance.

I think it's like sunset zone 20 or something like that. Glendale, ca.

Not enough chill hours? Needs cross pollinator?

Just hasn't reached maturity? Not 100% sure it is grafted.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ume Plum flowers but doesn't fruit

If I'm not mistaken, insufficient chill hours would be problematic in other ways beyond fruiting. You probably hit the nail on the head about pollination though. Pretty sure Ume needs cross-pollination, although other plums and/or apricots might work too. Finally, the majority of Ume are ornamental, and not for fruit production anyway...

o

I had thought ume plums, being basically an apricot, were self fertile. Edible landscape only sells 1 variety, implying its self fertile. Raintree says they're partially self fertile. But I can't find much information online about ume's so I'm not sure.

I'm getting my first ume's this year on a tree in its 4'th leaf. Another 4 year old, and a 5 year old, are not fruiting. I had always blamed the late January blooming followed by hard freeze's in feb. each tree has blossomed in their second year. Perhaps they take 4-5 years?

I guess to answer your question---I don't know.

o

Thanks for the answers. I looked up the chill hours, and they should be sufficient. I may go ahead and graft some cross-polinators onto my friend's tree next winter.

My wife does macrobiotics, and ferments her own umeboshi. We are still living off ume she pickled more than a decade ago, but supply is low. So we are eager to get some ume scion.

If any of y'all have scion to spare next winter... I'll probably get some from my friend, but I don't have the greatest confidence in the origins of the tree...

o

Sure.

o

fwiw, there was a poster 3-4 years ago; "Yama" in GA; who said all his umes came from the single white flower ume's. He said to stay away from the double pink flowers.

My ume's are on the single white flower tree.

o

fwiw, there was a poster 3-4 years ago; "Yama" in GA; who said all his umes came from the single white flower ume's. He said to stay away from the double pink flowers.

My ume's are on the single white flower tree.

o

Will an apricot work to cross-fertilize? Or does it need another ume?

o

I don't know. But any of my apricots don't bloom until March, well after the ume's are done blooming (late Jan to mid Feb). So I'll send you wood from 2 ume types.

o

yay! :-D

I'll be in touch early next winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here