Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning Raspberry Canes

Posted by kamala CA Central Coast (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 2:05

I have a well rooted raspberry plant that has almost exclusively brown canes, which have many buds on them. Should I cut these canes to the ground to let new more vigorous canes grow? I got this plant from a friend last summer/fall and enjoyed a number of raspberries from it, then I didn't prune it because I don't understand all the instructions I have ever read in the many places I've looked. I think this vine is everbearing. Aren't those, and all raspberry plants, said to produce fruit only on vines that are two years old? In that case, shouldn't I leave the brown canes to bud out on the many buds they have? I did prune out the narrower canes and reduced the number of canes to about 5 not very tall (up to two feet) and not very thick canes (about 1/4 inch). My other 7 raspberry plants are another story entirely: they have new green very small canes so no problem with pruning those yet. They are at least three years old and haven't produced a single complete fruit, possibly since they were in a very dry area on top of a hill.

I just planted them all with a couple of double handfuls of pure vermicompost in each hole, in a place with the best sun I can muster (about half a day in the middle of the day). I'm putting them in the ground to give them a chance to grow as much as possible, till the apartment complex management puts in a new landscape plan next fall. At which point I will have to put them into the boxes that will be provided by management. I need advice on pruning that one plant, and the others later.

The one bigger plant with brown canes, I don't actually know the variety. I think the others are Heritage.

I'm two blocks from the beach in Santa Cruz, CA. Mild winters, warming summers as everywhere in this age.

As I said I need pruning advice, and any other sage comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning Raspberry Canes

Google/YouTube "pruning raspberries" that well get you a very good understanding... Here is a link I glanced at, seemed decent, if it isn't, like i said a little bit of researching goes a long ways.. Raspberries are very very simple to prune,don't be intimidated!

Good luck,
Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning

o
RE: pruning Raspberry Canes

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 10:35

We have everbearing red raspberries, growing in alkaline clay soil, here in Madison, Wisconsin. I cut them back in the fall, to about 8 inches, and heavily mulch the patch with shredded leaves. Then it turns cold, we have snow, and the ground freezes up 'till spring. When the snow melts in March, the canes begin to grow, and green leaves emerge. We generally begin to get flowers and fruit in July, but the patch needs another month before fruit production picks up. There is heavy fruit yield in September, and the patch continues to flower and fruit right through October. I have to thin the patch every year, or it will turn into an inpenetrable thicket. Your growing conditions are much different from mine. If your raspberry canes are not producing volunteer plants, a few feet away from the original clump, then there is something missing, either soil moisture, humus, or not enough nutrient available. A healthy patch wants to spread out. There is a very thorough description of raspberry pruning on the "backyardberryplants" web-site. However, he is located in Indiana, which has a different climate, and different soil type, compared to California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here