Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young orange tree and earwigs

Posted by patid865 NSW (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 2:14

I live on SWS in NSW and planted a Washington Navel orange 2 years ago. It is slow to grow in sandy clay but looked OK at 40cms tall until an earwig attacked the growing top, stripping the bark so that the top 6cms died. Before this destruction it had eight to ten buds happening. Been very hot and dry this summer so I surrounded it with wire and a sacking cover to limit the hot sun. I have to hand water as we have only rainwater tank so I fill an unstoppered glass bottle and invert it beside the stem to give a slow drip. The tree is sprouting again but only from the base. Will it recover and grow tall or is it a dead loss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young orange tree and earwigs

Your tree is probably growing from the root stock, and will be different, and not in a good way. Look closely and you should be able to see the graft. I would expect it was on a dwarfing rootstock, which will have a shallow root not very tolerant of drought conditions. Google earwig control to get solutions to that problem. Al

o

Thank you calistoga. I will remove it and go find a better one. Will have to check availability as It is coming in to Autumn down under. A Spring planting may do better. (Will also look up earwig controls).

o

Put out small dishes of vegetable oil; the earwigs drown by the hundreds.

o

Sluggo Plus will kill earwigs (not regular Sluggo, but the Plus)
It's not cheap, but it works when they are setting up camp in your fruit!

Carla in Sac

o

Removing the earwig’s feeding ground habitat is very important to control it. Most of the insects, including earwigs are attracted to lights; so reducing some unnecessary lights can help you. Spring and summer are the best times to apply some insecticides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here