Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kennyb_landscaper

Anyone growing peaches, apples or blueberries in Hawaii

kennyb_landscaper
14 years ago

I have really enjoyed reading everyones messages. I would like to know if there is anyone who has experience or knowledge in growing peaches, apples or blueberries in no frost climates such as Hawaii.

I have a three and a half year old Florida Prince peach tree which is blooming as we speak. I also have two apple trees. A Santa Anna and Golden Delicious. The Santa Anna is also three and a half years old and has been bearing fruit for the past two years. As a matter of fact, I had apples twice in the same year off of this tree.

My problem is in the size of the fruit. I can't seem to get them to grow larger than a plum or apricot. The peaches and apples are deilicious and have more flavor in them than the ones I would buy at the supermarket. What can I do to get them to grow larger? Is it because of the "no frost" period being non existent? It only gets as cold as 60 degrees here in Kapolei, Hawaii, which is on the island of Oahu. In fact, Kapolei is known as one of the hottest spots on the island.

Now, for the blueberries. I love them and have four plants bearing fruit right now. I have two Sharpe Blue, one Emerald, and one Jewel plant. I can't seem to get a large yield of blueberries on either of the three different plant types.

The one thing that I can tell you is that all of the fruit trees are healthy as they have ever been. All responses will be appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Kenny B

Comments (14)

• kennyb_landscaper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To axel_sc,

Thanks for the excellent tips. They make sense. I will do what you say this year. If the apple tree starts to bloom again this year, I will pick off the flowers. I plucked all of the peach tree leaves off last year but never did it to the apple tree. Once the leaves came off of the peach tree, flowers started to appear shortly thereafter. I'm anxious to see what happens next year.

Is it too late to thin out the apples this year. My Anna apple tree has four apples per cluster. Should I pluck off three of them and leave only one apple per cluster?

One more thing, I made a mistake with my other apple tree. I do have a Dorsett Golden apple tree. I inadvertently called it the wrong name. It grows so quickly. It is already over six feet tall and I only had it for approximately six months. I haven't had any fruit yet.

• thisisme
    14 years ago

You should check out hawaiifruit.net

Ken Love started doing some research on figs there and found that they grow and fruit quite well even in the no chill zone below 500 feet. Now they are working on a no chill stone fruit project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii no chill projects

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

Yeah, are you thinning them? That's usually the reason for small fruit--too many on the branch. This year, when they are the size of a quarter, pick them all off except for 1 fruit every 6 inches of branch, and see if that makes a difference. And if you can, for the peaches withold water the last 2 to 3 weeks before harvest, it will concentrate the flavor. Since I know it rains every day in Hawaii, you could try getting some large plastic tarps and spread them covering the ground under your tree, to the width of the branches.

For the apples, have you checked out Kuffel Creek's warm weather apple growing site?

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuffel Creek apples

• kennyb_landscaper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carla in Sac,

You are the answer to my prayers. The link you sent to me pretty much told me what I needed to know about the two apple trees in my back yard. I now know that The Home Depot, which is the place where I bought the apple trees, sold the top two warm climate apples according to the Kuffel Creek Top 10.

This is my third year of fruit for the Anna apple tree and I am expecting the fruit to be larger and taste better than the first two years.

It's so hard to thin the fruit because they look so healthy, but, I will do so if it means larger fruit.

Again thanks a bunch and please keep in touch. My email is Islandscapes808@yahoo.com. I own a landscaping business and would like to incorporate fruit trees such as apples and blueberries into my landscaping designs. Unlike the peach tree, which still loses its leaves or turns brown, the apple tree stays nice and green year round and grows into an attractive tree. It also becomes a topic of conversation to guests since no one believes apple trees can grow here.

Thanks,

Kenny B

• thisisme
    14 years ago

There are at least two peaches and at least one plum that fruit with no chill in Hawaii. They are looking of others. It does not look like any of them are widely available though. Certainly not enough to satisfy even one landscape company. But there is hope for the future.

If I lived in Hawaii and knew how to graft I would be making some contacts and have a boat load of trees in a few years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of a peach tree growing in Hawaii

• Axel
    14 years ago

Kenny, you must thin! I know it's hard, but you've got to pull off those extra fruit.

And do not pull the flowers off on second or third blooms, you will damage any newly forming spurs. Just remove the fruitlets after they've set.

• Axel
    14 years ago

You will want to thin down to one apple every second spur. So that means removing three apples on one spur, and all of them on the next one. It's hard to do, but it will be worth it.

• kennyb_landscaper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thisisme,

I reviewed the website that you sent to me and saw the pictures there. Unfortunately, the peach trees are located in a higher elevation located on the island of Hawaii. Believe it or not, the higher elevations are covered with snow during the winter months so they do kind of experience a "frost period". Unfortunately, I live in a low lying area on Oahu and cannot come close to the climate conditions.

Axel sc,

Good as done, it hurt, but I trimmed to your specs.

Thanks to both of you,

Kenny B

• thisisme
    14 years ago

Sorry Kenny that tree is grown on Keauhou by one of the contributers to the "No Chill Stone Fruit Project." I do not live in Hawaii and did not realize that Keauhou is part of the big island.

• garystella_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

There is an older thread on this forum...find it by googling peaches in Hawaii. The thread indicates some success.
    Also look around on the web; there are many new low chill varieties of many fruits.

• snakasone3
    8 years ago

Is this forum still going?!

• lanikaiservices_co
    7 years ago

Do u guys think if i were to graph a peach tree onto an anna apple tree it qould take?

I live near the beach on oahu where it relatively stays around 75-90f

• macmanmatty2
    7 years ago

no you cannot graft peach on to apple it will not take

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting