Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re: Pruning Cherries w/the 'Vertical Axis System'

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b); NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 4:59

Hi,

I wish to grow a number of sweet cherry trees, all on Gisella-6 dwarfing root-stock. I'm going to employ the 'Vertical Axis System' but I need some help understanding a very basic fundamental of the technique.

I assume I will be growing the trees 12' tall x 8' wide for a narrow Christmas-tree effect.

The question is this: are most of the branches going to run two-dimensionally (i.e. east to west, and none north to south; or, just the same, north to south, but none east to west) just like a Christmas-tree shape cut out of construction paper...which would be a sort of Christmas-tree shape mixed with the espalier concept?

Or is it simple a 12' tall x 8' 3-dimensional Christmas-tree with the same wide all around.

I hopefully worded this somewhat well enough.

Thank you,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here