Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Babcock' peach

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 7:34

This picture was from earlier this month. 'Babcock' is excellent here and is a good fruit setter, which requires heavy thinning:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Babcock' peach

Oh good. I bought a bare-root one from Costco a couple of months ago, and it has been leafing out (correcting - hate when I misspell). I should check for blooms.

This post was edited by eloise_ca on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 9:34

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 20:17

eloise_ca, good luck with your tree! Babcock has been around a long time and performs well here in So Cal.

o

My Costco Babcock has very different flowers.

Babcock Peach

Hmm did yours look like this or do I have an imposter?

o

Kippy, the bloom on my Babcock is a lighter pink. Could yours be a nectarine or something else?

o

I got mine from costco last season with a Babcock tag. But tags are easy to switch. No fruit last season, so guess I will find out. It is in a cooler area and I am on the coast, but the shape is different than my other peaches too. The leaves look peach. But if it turns out to be a nectarine, that is fine as well.

My nectarines all had lighter flowers, a more standard pink, the plums I think were mostly white. This one stands out with these deep colored flowers and fairly late compared to the other fruit trees.

o

Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 15:06

That's a stunning looking bloom, but nothing like a Babcock that I've ever seen. Could it be a Giant Babcock?

Did some more thinning this morning. Here's a grainy picture after the rain this week:

o

Babcock is really the most juicy and sweet peach I have ever grown. The only downside is: it bruises easily and over-ripens quickly. Eat 'em fast!

o

Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 22:44

fireduck, Babcock is a very special piece of fruit in my locale, and has been for a long time. Like most of the sub-acid peaches and nectarines, it has a sweet crunchy stage and a soft melting stage. Often times you can encounter fruit at both stages through the harvest season. As a bonus, Babcock emits a very floral scent when the peaches are ripening that is truly sublime. But you are right, Babcock bruises easily and does not ship well when dead ripe.

o

Mine has fuzzy fruit....so it is a peach. Guess time will tell what kind

o

Can Any body share some babcock peach pits for postage?
I'm trying to grow one from seed as our local nurseries don't carry it.
Thanks!

o

I purchased a Babcock peach tree at a local Mexican market (I know, bad idea) it was only $9.99. This is the second year it's been in the ground. It's about chest high, 5 branches and loaded with fruit. The problem is, the fruit is tasteless. :( I didn't thin the fruit, didn't think they'd all stay on. They are only golf ball sized but fully ripe (color and feel). Are they tasteless because the tree is so young? or I have too many on the branches? or is it where I purchased it? I'm ready to pull it out. :(

o

Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 18:43

'Babcock' peaches are coming in strong right now:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here