Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

'Babcock' peach

MrClint
10 years ago

This picture was from earlier this month. 'Babcock' is excellent here and is a good fruit setter, which requires heavy thinning:

Comments (14)

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Oh good. I bought a bare-root one from Costco a couple of months ago, and it has been leafing out (correcting - hate when I misspell). I should check for blooms.

This post was edited by eloise_ca on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 9:34

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eloise_ca, good luck with your tree! Babcock has been around a long time and performs well here in So Cal.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My Costco Babcock has very different flowers.

{{gwi:68505}}

Hmm did yours look like this or do I have an imposter?

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Kippy, the bloom on my Babcock is a lighter pink. Could yours be a nectarine or something else?

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I got mine from costco last season with a Babcock tag. But tags are easy to switch. No fruit last season, so guess I will find out. It is in a cooler area and I am on the coast, but the shape is different than my other peaches too. The leaves look peach. But if it turns out to be a nectarine, that is fine as well.

My nectarines all had lighter flowers, a more standard pink, the plums I think were mostly white. This one stands out with these deep colored flowers and fairly late compared to the other fruit trees.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a stunning looking bloom, but nothing like a Babcock that I've ever seen. Could it be a Giant Babcock?

Did some more thinning this morning. Here's a grainy picture after the rain this week:

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Babcock is really the most juicy and sweet peach I have ever grown. The only downside is: it bruises easily and over-ripens quickly. Eat 'em fast!

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fireduck, Babcock is a very special piece of fruit in my locale, and has been for a long time. Like most of the sub-acid peaches and nectarines, it has a sweet crunchy stage and a soft melting stage. Often times you can encounter fruit at both stages through the harvest season. As a bonus, Babcock emits a very floral scent when the peaches are ripening that is truly sublime. But you are right, Babcock bruises easily and does not ship well when dead ripe.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Mine has fuzzy fruit....so it is a peach. Guess time will tell what kind

• LuckyDurazno
    9 years ago

Can Any body share some babcock peach pits for postage?
    I'm trying to grow one from seed as our local nurseries don't carry it.
    Thanks!

• gardener_gardner
    9 years ago

I purchased a Babcock peach tree at a local Mexican market (I know, bad idea) it was only $9.99. This is the second year it's been in the ground. It's about chest high, 5 branches and loaded with fruit. The problem is, the fruit is tasteless. :( I didn't thin the fruit, didn't think they'd all stay on. They are only golf ball sized but fully ripe (color and feel). Are they tasteless because the tree is so young? or I have too many on the branches? or is it where I purchased it? I'm ready to pull it out. :(

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Babcock' peaches are coming in strong right now:

• PRO
    Paradise Nursery
    6 years ago

Nice photo MrClint! The Babcock peach is our go to white peach. If the tree producer too much fruit for a tiny tree or branch, make sure to thin the fruit to prevent broken limbs, undersize fruits, and fruits that do not ripen well. Thinning when needed is very important.

• cwlucking
    6 years ago

Interesting thread. My babcock is in the ground 4 years now, is a big, healthy, vigorous tree, but only produced like 5 or 7 peaches this year AND last (compared to my Arctic Star nectarine right next to it, which is the same size and gave me hundreds of fruit). The peaches are big and juicy and delicious, but only 5? What gives?