Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crab apple training?

Posted by TrapperDF 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 7:59

Are crab apples trained to a central leader or are they left alone to take on their own shape.
I'm waiting for a wickson crab to arrive and not sure how to train it.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crab apple training?

If you like the shape you can leave it alone, you're in no need for heavy pruning when ornamental.

o

konrad,
Wickson is one of the best 'edible' crab varieties - high-quality fruit with high brix and excellent flavor, though fairly small, as crabs are wont to be - though, like most apples, I'm sure it's 'ornamental' when in bloom.

o

Yes, I plan to eat them and make cider. The reason I ask is The fedco website says crabs require little to no pruning and recommends allowing the trees to assume their own unique form. although Wickson is not listed with the other edible crabs.

o

Ah..oh,..sorry, somehow I missed Wickson.
Then I would do some pruning,..don't get the branches mangled up,..get some light in. I also cut back ends that it can hold a load of apples. But let it grow a year or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here