Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basic Interstem questions

Posted by PersianMD2Orchard none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 8:15

If you have say Magness pear on quince. And you graft say a quince compatible cultivar (QCC) on the Magness...

1. Will the new QCC have zero added, some added, or full added precociousness (i.e. take advantage of the quince rootstock?)

2. If you graft a quince INcompatible cultivar on the Magness--will the graft fail because eventually it leads up to quince rootstock?

My vote (based on nothing) is question 1: some added precociousness, question 2: graft will succeed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basic Interstem questions

The graft will definitely succeed, and will succeed even if the variety is not quince-compatible. That is a way to graft a non-compatible variety onto quince. I have done it many times, its easy.

The precociousness is from the rootstock primarily so it should be the same. If the interstem is genetically vastly different than the top variety it can have some effect but the interstem is similar to your top so it should not have much effect.

Scott

o
RE: Basic Interstem questions

Thanks a lot for the info. BTW Tomcot and Moniqui are full of flower buds thanks for those recs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here