Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worms eating my apple blossoms

Posted by georgiagreen 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 8:25

Hi, I have several apple trees in pre bloom at the moment and have several tiny caterpiller or web worms eating my new shoots and bloosoms. They tend to get into the new shoot as it opens and hide in an uncurled leaf. I have had them in the past later in the year as they seem to come more than once and sprayed for them but am unsure if I can spray for them now since I am close to bloom and do not want to hurt any pollenizers. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appericated. Also any idea on what type of pest this might be would also be helpful, I have looked for it on the web but haven't found what it could be.
Thank you for your time,
Doyle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worms eating my apple blossoms

I'd be tempted to go with BT. It won't hurt any bees. Spray at dusk about twice a week until they are gone. Bt photodegrades in sunlight. Thus spraying at dusk on a frequent schedule.

o

You might try molasses.
I recently read an article regarding Molasses as a caterpillar treatment.
Using 1 tablespoon per gallon and spray to run off. Won't hurt the bees but does stop the caterpillars, plus it has all sorts of trace minerals as a foliar feed. A double wammy.

o

I think they may be called winter moth. We get tiny worms here that eat the blossoms but on a normal year, not enough to do any real damage.

o

Thanks for the responses, after more research on the web they appear to be two different types of leaf rollers since one worm is green and the other is a light brown which seems to return later in the year. The bt sounds like the option I will go with in the future but was wondering how I will get it deeply enough in the bud opening so the worm will eat it. Also will dormant oil sprays kill this type of pest eggs overwintering since from what I have read they lay eggs on the tree. So, until the bt arrives I will just smash as many as I can find. Thanks again for your help.
Doyle

o

Doyle:

The BT I use is a wettable powder. It will get deep enough to kill the worms. Last time I sprayed it on web worms the results were exceptional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here