theaceofspades
12 years ago

is on sale for $7.99.

Great bush cherry for the price!

Here is a link that might be useful: Springhill nursery

Comments (10)

• camdenguy
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered 3 C J Cherries and found Heritage Red Raspberries for about .90 each. I love a Saturday morning bargin.

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got three for gifts a few years ago same sale. They were leafed out in very good condition. I have two large bushes originally from St. Lawrence nursery. CJ and crimson passion, and they are very good tasting. Keep the plants protected as it is sometimes quite hot and freezing.

• SoTX
    12 years ago

Thanks! Just bought two at best price I've seen--don't want much invested since they haven't completed trials for deep South. Guess we will find out!

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Watch out when ordering from Spring Hill, their garden watchdog rating is very low.

Scott

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Scott -- true, but the plants will actually ship from Stark out of Louisiana, Missouri. The Spring Hill/Gurney's/Gardens Alive consortium is just an order taker for the most part, and it farms out its orders to constituent companies.

Stark isn't pefect, but it does a pretty good job overall. That being said, these plants, if true to my prior experience, will be about two inch tall rooted cuttings. So, they will take a lot of TLC the first year. When I got one a few years back, I paid the full $30 because I really wanted to try it. It grew well 2 seasons, then ... voles ate it!

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Denninmi, the plants came from Spring Hill nursery in Ohio. The $7.99 plants I received were about 10" and leafed out. The only qualms I had was they were tender from growing in the greenhouse. I recommend planting to a pot and protecting from sun scald and frosts. The new growth will be hardy and the plants should reach two feet the first season. In the third season you get a few cherries to try and they are nice.

• camdenguy
    11 years ago

Ace, what size pot did you use? Do you plan on planting them in the ground or just leaving them in pots? I have several empty 12 gallon pots that I bought at Tractor Supply. How long do you think they could they stay in those on my east deck?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

theaceofspades, Thanks for the info. I ordered 2 couple of days ago. It is said in 3" pot, I am interested to see how they look when they arrive.

BTW I think I saw someone sales grafted Caemine Jewel Cherry. Does anyone here care to comment on Pros/con's of grafted vs. grow on it own root???

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

My SpringHill Carmine Jewel cherry ( 2) order finally came yesterday. I don't know which nursary these were shipped from but I am sure these potted plants have no pot . Whoever shipped these plants stripped the plastic pot off and shipped " Naked Root" . Potting soil is all over inside of the shipping cartoon when I opened the box. Talking about cheap, these people are real, realy cheap!!!.

• marc5
    11 years ago

Thanks to the heads up here, I ordered the SpringHill Carmine Jewel cherries, and mine arrived last week. They were in great shape--12" tall in pots that were small but sturdy--maybe 2 or 3 inches. They were completely leafed out with healthy foliage. There was a note inside stating that they had been grown from tissue cultures, I believe. I planted them directly into the orchard, 5' apart. So far they look great. The more I read about them, the more I like them.