Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat wave next week for midwest?

Posted by daddyhaslonglegs (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 9:01

For any of us in the Midwest/Ohio Valley/G Lakes, next week has the potential to head into the 70F's for several days. Scary to think how early of a bloom we could have this year. Still some ice on the north side facing trees here, but most everything else is frost free. The apricots always scare me with how early they are able to bloom. 2010 redux?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat wave next week for midwest?

I'm showing 50's to around 60 here in the Detroit area next week. Definitely risks the danger of having things come along far too early, and then have a late season outbreak of arctic air take them out. But, I don't know of any way to stop it.

This happened in the spring of 2007 (IIRC) -- way too warm in March, followed by extreme cold.

o

Add 10F to that...I would say Tues-Sat have the potential for 70F+...Its ugly how warm it looks in the extended range. Going to really cause a lot of pain if the trees all bloom early.

o

Still looks very warm...probably some 80Fs in the plain states next week...creeping into MN... Warmth starts Saturday and continues for at least 7 days.

o

Frankly, I'm a little surprised things around here don't seem to waking up like you'd think. I cut down over 20 trees last weekend, and they did not bleed at all. My blackberries are beginning to leaf out a little, and there is some swelling on the blueberries and peaches but that's all. I was checking last year's records, and the first rhubarb emerged on March 3. So far, no sign of that yet.

o

I was very concerned about this early warming but the long-range forecast is that the general warming trend is going to stay in place through March for sure. This means I am probably OK since by April it has usually warmed up here anyway. Folks in colder climates may have more problems in April but this warm trend is caused by La Nina (sic) pattern which is a long-term thing, not just random weather ups and downs.

I am going to have to spray this week, I saw a plum already flowering on my way to work this morning.

Scott
PS see below for the current March/April/May forecast for example. Also poke around this site and you will find discussions of the long-term trends.

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS long-term forecast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here