Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skin scars/splitting on apricots

Posted by bejay9_10 zone 9/10 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 9:13

I have an older Blenheim apricot that grew from seedling, and now about 5-6 years old. It has always produced a great number of fruit, very sweet and juice. However, last year almost all of fruit looked sun burned with splitting skin and not edible looking.

Is this some sort of fungus or perhaps the tree is in need of drastic pruning. Any suggestions?

Bejay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skin scars/splitting on apricots

Did you have a hot spell? Blenheim is susceptible to pit burn, which sort of "cooks" the fruit from the inside out when temps are above about 100 degrees. No guarantee that what you have is a Blenheim if it grew from a seed.

I have a seedling apricot with almost no fuzz which is kind of tough and sometimes gets russeting and/or splits.

o

The apricot you describe sounds similar. I'm only 7-8 blocks from the ocean - so hot spells rarely hit that high, although the orchard does get a lot of reflected heat from a recently built twinhome next door. In many respects I welcomed it for a banana tree nearby, but perhaps it is going to be a trade-off.

The apricot fruit is very sweet - and decidedly different than a newly planted Blenheim Royal - just 2 years ago, which also receives such reflected heat, but not affected.

It does sound and look like sunburn however - or perhaps bird damage - from testing for ripeness.

Thank you for reply.

Bejay

o

The russeting and cracking on my volunteer fruits is mainly where the sun shines directly on the fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here