Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneyroo

New variety of Plum

sydneyroo
14 years ago

I was at Lowe's the other day and saw a self-fertile plum tree called "Sweet August Sensation" which claimed it was "better than Santa Rosa". A google search has turned up absolutely no information about this new variety, so I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about it???

Comments (24)

• shona
    13 years ago

Did you ever find out anything on the "Sweet August Sensation" plum? I came up with the same search results you did on it (which was nothing), but I took a chance and bought one this past week-end when they were on sale. I picked up a "Santa Rosa" and an "AU Producer" while I was at it.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Got to wonder if they just slapped some fancy name on some already named plum... Like putting a fancy dress on a troll.

• svngs_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Same here - just wanted to know what zone is is
    The last tree from lowes froze 2 year latter
    'Don't want it happening again.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

This is a trade-marked variety from the Berry Family of Nurseries.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berry Family of Nurseries: Super Sweet Fruits

• SasW
    10 years ago

I just purchased Both on sale at Lowes for $15 each.

The sweet August sensation tag says that it's super sweet and self fertile and bears fruit the first year!

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Sounds like fools gold. Checked on-line and the nursery does not appear the type to do any of its own breeding and they are the only ones that market this plum.

Stark Bros. often renames varieties after patents expire to make them more enticing and this is probably the case with this one. I like to know the real name of what I grow so I can find information about it.

I believe it's a better strategy to purchase trees from a reputable nursery that specializes in fruit trees. In the long term, getting fruit is too much work to cut corners at the beginning. You may get lucky, but it is generally not a winning formula to buy trees on the cheap from the big boxes, in my opinion.

• fmp5504
    10 years ago

I wanted to say that I am amazingly pleased today with my Super Sweet Plum Sweet August Sensation. It really should have been Sweet November Sensation as it has absolutely beautiful red leaves that have not yet dropped. I live in NC. I bought two of these and put them outside in the yard where my bay window overlooks them. I bought them this summer at a price of $29.98 each from Lowes. I don't know quite what to expect yet from them, but they have already earned their keep.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Most on this forum buy trees for their fruit, not fall foliage, but that is always a nice dividend. Not nearly enough to earn their keep in my yard- we have J. maples here for that and they don't get black knot.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

"I live in NC... I don't know quite what to expect yet from them..."

You can expect plum curculio, brown rot, and any number of other pest and diseases, or, at least, that's been my experience when attempting to grow plums here in NC. Not that you can't overcome these things with the right spray program, but plums definitely require some effort in our climate.

• ahgrower Horne
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree with you seemedford, I have owned my tree for 3 years now and although I had several blooms on the tree all 3 years of owning it, this year just one survived-no fault of the tree-but because of a couple of amateur mistakes that I made. (like bringing this containerized tree into the hot kitchen during the last late freeze-instead of putting it in the garage) Most of the blooms were destroyed because of this. Anyway, I nurtured that one lone plum. It has a beautiful purple hue and I had the pleasure of eating it on July 5th, 2015 on a Sunday morning. We had had a storm the previous night and the wind blew hard and knocked the plum off the tree and out of the birdnetting that I had it wrapped up in. When I went out to inspect my garden and trees that following morning, the lone plum was not in its location. Fortunately, the birds had not come out yet and that plum was lying on the straw in the container. I did not think to take a picture of it, I was just so happy to find it in good shape, clean and in one piece. I picked it up, wiped it off and proceeded to taste it. I COULD NOT put it down. It was absolutely delicious. It was indeed, well worth the wait. I said all of that to say I totally agree with you that the August Sensation is a plum that will not disappoint. It's flesh is dark red, has a floral taste (like Flavor King) and it is rich and sweet tasting. Yes, this tree is a good buy. You just have to net it like all the others....LOL

• j3707 Southwest WA, Zone 8.
    8 years ago

I also bought a Sweet August Sensation from Lowe's several years ago. I got the first fruit from it this year and it knocked the socks off my other two asian plums. My guess is that it was bred by Bradford Farms, along with many other interesting stone fruit varieties.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    8 years ago

Im glad to hear the positives of this tree since I bought one of Berry Family's "western pride" nectarine last year. Maybe it will be good too.

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

I purchased the August sensation and on my tag it says it requires a pollinate or super sweet candy Rosa but not the only pollinate or my tree does not say self fertile so well this tree produce fruit without another pollinate or

• ahgrower Horne
    4 years ago

Hi Karl, when I bought my tree 6 years ago, I remember the tag listed that it was self-fertile. And it was true, I had little plums on it the first year in the ground but they only got about as big as the size of a quarter. Then, after another 2 more years, I had nice sized plums. Although I have a Santa Rosa and a Burbank plum tree, they were no where near the Sweet August Sensation, they were about 30 hundred feet on the other side of the yard. I sure hope this helps you. If you have the same tree as the the one i have, then it should be self pollinating but of course, they always suggest that we plant another plum tree close by for heavier yields. So, now, I have it near the Santa Rosa and it does bloom profusely. Good luck with your tree and God bless! I do hope you get to enjoy the delicious taste of the Sweet August Sensation, you will definitely enjoy it.

• ahgrower Horne
    4 years ago

Meant to say 300 feet on the other side of the yard....LOL

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

I thank you!

• ahgrower Horne
    4 years ago

Hi Karl, my tag on the Sweet August Sensation, says self pollinating. I do have a Santa Rosa very close to the tree at this time, but I do remember the first year that I had it, it set blooms and fruit all the way of the other side of the yard away from the Santa Rosa. If it is the same tree as mine, it is supposed to be self-pollinating. Yet, just to be on the safe side, if you have the means, invest in another plum tree if possible this way you can get a heavier crop.. I hope sincerely, that this info helps. I really do want you to enjoy the sweet delicious floral taste of the Sweet August Sensation. God Bless,

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

!

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

Thank-you!

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

That's pollinator required sweet candy Rosa but not the only pollinator

• ahgrower Horne
    4 years ago

Yes I see that on your label it does say that you need another pollinator, so from experience a Santa Rosa or Burbank plum will do just fine. Trust me, I get fruit every year and I do not have a Candy Rosa. In fact, when I bought the tree, I did not even see a Candy Rosa listed. LOL

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

OK I'm gonna get a Santa Rosa also hoping for good results

• Karl Deskin
    4 years ago

Thank you so much