Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New variety of Plum

Posted by sydneyroo 5-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 9:18

I was at Lowe's the other day and saw a self-fertile plum tree called "Sweet August Sensation" which claimed it was "better than Santa Rosa". A google search has turned up absolutely no information about this new variety, so I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about it???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New variety of Plum

• Posted by shona Zone 5 MO (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 19:19

Did you ever find out anything on the "Sweet August Sensation" plum? I came up with the same search results you did on it (which was nothing), but I took a chance and bought one this past week-end when they were on sale. I picked up a "Santa Rosa" and an "AU Producer" while I was at it.

o

Got to wonder if they just slapped some fancy name on some already named plum... Like putting a fancy dress on a troll.

o

Same here - just wanted to know what zone is is
The last tree from lowes froze 2 year latter
'Don't want it happening again.

o

This is a trade-marked variety from the Berry Family of Nurseries.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berry Family of Nurseries: Super Sweet Fruits

o

• Posted by SasW none (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 23:13

I just purchased Both on sale at Lowes for $15 each.

The sweet August sensation tag says that it's super sweet and self fertile and bears fruit the first year!

o

Sounds like fools gold. Checked on-line and the nursery does not appear the type to do any of its own breeding and they are the only ones that market this plum.

Stark Bros. often renames varieties after patents expire to make them more enticing and this is probably the case with this one. I like to know the real name of what I grow so I can find information about it.

I believe it's a better strategy to purchase trees from a reputable nursery that specializes in fruit trees. In the long term, getting fruit is too much work to cut corners at the beginning. You may get lucky, but it is generally not a winning formula to buy trees on the cheap from the big boxes, in my opinion.

o

I wanted to say that I am amazingly pleased today with my Super Sweet Plum Sweet August Sensation. It really should have been Sweet November Sensation as it has absolutely beautiful red leaves that have not yet dropped. I live in NC. I bought two of these and put them outside in the yard where my bay window overlooks them. I bought them this summer at a price of $29.98 each from Lowes. I don't know quite what to expect yet from them, but they have already earned their keep.

o

Most on this forum buy trees for their fruit, not fall foliage, but that is always a nice dividend. Not nearly enough to earn their keep in my yard- we have J. maples here for that and they don't get black knot.

o

"I live in NC... I don't know quite what to expect yet from them..."

You can expect plum curculio, brown rot, and any number of other pest and diseases, or, at least, that's been my experience when attempting to grow plums here in NC. Not that you can't overcome these things with the right spray program, but plums definitely require some effort in our climate.

o

The August Sensation plum is far superior to Santa Rosa. Sweeter and more prolific. I bought one at Lowes 3 years ago, along with my former favorite, Santa Rosa. August is my new favorite!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here