Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should Peaches Get Color?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 9:43

We inherited an old peach tree with our property. This is our first year ever to deal with peaches.

We thinned the ones we can reach, and although they are still small, some are getting color. Is that normal? The peaches have been on the tree for about 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should Peaches Get Color?

Some color development on the sun exposed areas at this point is normal. At least that's what my sometimes feeble memory is serving up at this point. It's one of those many things that I don't take much notice of.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 10:08

Yes, it is normal to get some peach coloration even at marble size. I would consider it a good sign.

o

Thanks for the replies! I'm breathing a sigh of relief!

We got some of that Bird Scare tape, and the instructions say not to put it on too early. I'm thinking it's too soon for the tape.

Suzi

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 10:22

Bird scare tape, for what little good it might do, will go on just before ripening.

o

Yeah, I don't expect that tape to do much, but the alternative is bird netting. We netted our Persimmon, and it took 3 hours to get that stuff off!

The tape worked well for the birds that were trying to build nests in our patio ceiling fans!

Suzi

o

The bird scare tape works great for me. The birds don't do any damage to my fruit when it is hanging in the trees.

I imagine that you need a decent breeze to make it effective. I am on a hilltop so it is always a little breezy, blowing the scare tape around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here