Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caring for a peach tree?

Posted by southjerseygirl South Jersey (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 9:44

I bought my house 3 years ago, and there is a peach tree in the back yard (pretty big- almost as tall as my one story house and big around as well). Every year, it has peaches, but I really haven't done anything with them. Last year, I brought some in to work and people loved them! The only issues were that they had little brown spots on them, and they bruised and spoiled really quickly. I'd like to actually do something with the tree this year so we can use the fruit. Unfortunately I have no green thumb whatsoever, and don't even know where to begin! Please help! Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caring for a peach tree?

If it is still dormant...spray with an anti-fungal spray. Peach trees have issues with moisture....bigtime. Once the peaches set....thin the fruit when they are the size of a pea. Most trees set way too much fruit.

o

Jerseygirl:

It sounds like you might have had bacterial blight. I believe it can be controlled with copper sprayed while the
tree is dormant. I only had this issue twice and never had it again so I am no expert on it.

I would suggest you spray to prevent peach leaf curl but
perhaps is is not an issue in your area. It is for me. I spray in late March while the tree is dormant with chlorothalonil. This controls it nicely. I am attaching a photo so you know what curl looks like if you get it.

o

Your brown spots are either peach scab or bacterial spot, use Google to help you figure out which and to read up on treatments for the two, and feel free to ask more questions here.

Scott

o

Thank you all! It looks like what I had was peach scab. I did some research on pruning properly and I will make sure that I remove the excess fruit this year. I also bought a fungicide/insecticide that I will apply every two weeks or so. Looking forward to some good peaches!!

o

The best thing I got from this thread was the thinning peaches part. We bought a house, and haven't even moved in yet, but are constantly surprised by what is blooming and here. The peach is healthy, has bloomed, and there are tons of little baby peaches on the tree.

What is the best way to thin? Like do I pinch? Use pruning shears? They are about 1/2" big now.

Thanks!

Suzi

o

Its Peach Leaf Curl. Spray Copper in the fall (after the tree has dropped its leaves) and late winter/early spring, (at bud swell); same time you apply your dormant oil. In the meantime, if you remove the ugly red puckered leaves it will help to alleviate your problem temporarily. Destroy the leaves, do not drop them on the ground and leave them there. The spores of PLC live in the leaf buds. If left untreated you will have diseased and mis-shapen fruit as well. Mrs. G

o

Peaches should be pruned heavily also, the branches grow too fast to support the weight of crop they can set.

Here is a video that might help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning peach tree

o
Thank you "TheDerek"!

That video was very helpful! Thank you so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here