Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curtiskw

Harvestmanss 1/3 rule

curtis
10 years ago

Harvestman has previously articulated his 1/3 rule. Which is remove any branch that is1/3 or larger the size of the trunk where it emerges. This is on my Honeycrisp tree. I got the tree from a large local nursury. In reality the people who work there don't know much. bad pruning and no info to buyers. I knew nothing before coming to this forum.

So this branch got this way partially due to a competitive leader a few inches from the main. I had tied it to a 45 degree angle to decide later if it was a keeper. I have learned a lot sense then and will remove it.

The reason articulated by HM is that this type of branch will always prefer to be vegetative. So you are just better off without it.

In this case, this HC tree may finally give some apples, many branches do not have spurs and there are some on this one, so I pruned it back to the fruit spurs and will remove it after apples are picked.

I do have a questions on summer pruning..

As I understand it summer pruning is done after picking fruit, right? The idea is to remove mass without causing a lot of vegetative growth response, right?

Is it better to seal a summer prune with that black stuff?

This post was edited by cckw on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 10:04

Comments (8)

• curtis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo

• bart1
    10 years ago

For summer pruning, don't wait until the fruit is picked. That would be too late. Do it in July or August.

I don't think people use that wound sealant any more. I never do...............but wait for confirmation from one of the Fruit Forum Gods!

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Actually, it's remove branches that EXCEED one third the diameter of trunk at the point where branch is attached to the trunk. On Honeycrisp you are safe going for 2-1 ratio- trunk to branch, because it wants to fruit, unless you are going for as compact a tree as possible. Same with Braebern, Goldrush, Empire, Arkansas Black and other spurry varieties.

The 2-1 rule is very helpful when pruning secondary and tertiary wood with ratio applied to the scaffold instead of the trunk for secondary wood and so forth. You don't need to use it as a hard rule but as a guide when you need to thin to open trees up. That idea I will take credit for- the trunk to scaffold idea that inspired it came to me from Bas van den Ende

• marknmt
    10 years ago

Harvestman, one thing I thought I understood about your 1/3 pruning rule is the idea that scaffold branches themselves are not being removed from the trunk, but once established are essentially permanent. Then the fingers that grow from the scaffolds are the ones on which fruit sets, and which will be periodically removed to allow for fresh growth.

But apparently you actually remove scaffold branches. With what are they replaced? Do new scaffold branches develop from the drunk? Or do you, perhaps, cut the scaffold back to a finger or a bud and get your replacement branch from that?

Thanks for your help.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I don't generally remove scaffold branches of the first tier- they should be permanent, but in a central leader tree with 2 or three tiers, higher branches eventually outgrow lower ones and when they become of too large a diameter to be efficiently fruitful in their space they should be replaced. Merely cutting them back so they don't shade lower scaffolds creates mostly more leaves and wood instead of fruit on oversized branches.

I leave small replacement branches a year or two before removing an oversized branch to take its place so it is a continuous cycling in and out of wood. This is one reason an open center tree is less complicated to maintain but once you understand how to do it neither method is very difficult. The problem is that this cycling seems never to be explained in the literature.

Lower scaffolds would be removed if you deliberately or mistakenly started with a surplus. Some varieties, including Honeycrisp, are reluctant producers of secondary wood, so it may be a logical choice to begin with extra scaffolds. There is no one way and leaving extra branches can also discourage secondary branching.

• marknmt
    10 years ago

Thank you! That clarifies a great deal for me. Much appreciated.

• curtis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Harvestman,

seriously, you should write a book. I know a couple authors you can talk to about the business side of it, if you are interested.

Of course the niche is small enough you won't get rich, but it would be a huge help to the back yard apple growers of America & the world

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Thank you for that, and when I retire from managing orchards I may write a book if my brain is still functioning reasonably well. I actually make better money than most garden writers and doing is more fun for me. Meanwhile, my outlet is right here on this forum where I have my fans and my critics, but no one has to pay to read my experienced based opinions.

The pay is more than adequate from other folks on this forum who have taught me quite a bit and have often expressed gratitude for what I've taught them.