Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries and blackberries

Posted by Brett-CpG (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 10:09

I just got in 2 types of raspberries and 2 types of blackberries (indianaberry, if it matters), and I got 2 plants of each...so a total of 8 plants. My plan was to put 1 of each plant in the ground, and 1 of each in a container. Here are my two questions:

1) What is the smallest container I can get away with? I've got some 14" diameter pots that are about 14" deep for now. I'm guessing it's way too small and the plant won't do well, but will I straight up kill the plant doing this?

2) What is the best way to contain plants in the ground? I'm renting property with a big backyard for the next 2-3 years (hence why I want to keep some in containers). I've got permission to tear up the yard a bit and plant a garden, but I don't think the landlord wants brambles for the next 20 years after I leave. Does anyone have good tricks to keep berries contained?

As an aside, I know not to expect berries this year, since there are no canes yet.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries and blackberries

Judging from the dimensions that you listed, your pots are just under 10 gallons in size and should be perfectly fine for raspberries and blackberries. I have healthy raspberries in pots as small as 4 gallons, and I have a bunch of newly planted raspberries and blackberries that I intend to grow long term in 7-10 gallon pots. Of course, the larger the pot, the larger the potential fruit yield, but you can grow happy and healthy plants even in small pots as long as you provide the proper conditions (see the linked thread below for some good tips on growing plants in containers).

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVII

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here