Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Tips in MN in March!!!!!

Posted by oldryder (4) MN (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 10:17

At a time when there would still be snow on the ground and at least 2 or 3 more weeks of frozen ground in a normal year my fruit trees are all budding.

seems like a very high probability of no fruit this year since it'll be a miracle if we don't get a frost during bloom with everything starting so early.

if there is anything I can do to reduce the probability of losing everything I'd be interested in hearing it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Tips in MN in March!!!!!

I was just coming online to post something similar. We're in Eastern Mass and the peaches and plums are swollen already. Patriot blueberries are showing separate buds. From my notes, we're about 2 weeks ahead of last years schedule.

We have a severe winter moth problem, which defoliates blueberries, cherries and apple before buds fully emerge, but the moth appears to still be dormant. With some luck, the weather and moth will cooperate for a few more weeks and we'll have a great year.

o
RE: Silver Tips in MN in March!!!!!

I'm crossing my fingers we don't get any more snap freezes. We had one down here that darned near took out my sugar cane, but we're not forecast to have any more really cold weather in the 10-day, so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be safe down here in TN.

I hope so anyway, because I've already rolled my dice and put my stuff out in the garden over the past week, and everything is growing nicely. Way too much out there now to bring it back in, and my mulberry tree is already starting to fruit, so the weather had better play nice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here