Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First year fruit after graft?

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 10:20

Is it possible? If you place a graft this year, obviously some of that wood is going to have flowers (?)...is it possible to flower/hold fruit to maturity on a first year graft? Anyone have it happen? I had a chip bud last year flower, but it dropped the flowers...Not a good thing I'd imagine, but is it possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First year fruit after graft?

I'm sure it is possible. Last year I had a lot of flowers on a one-year apple graft. The only reason that it did NOT fruit I think it because of the goofy weather in 2012 -- most but not all of the flowers were black inside. But otherwise I think it might have fruited. However I still probably would have cut any fruitlets off for fear of breaking the graft. I'll let it fruit this year. I can see the fruit buds swelling on it already.

o

Yeah...you'd better hope that graft is held together with something or else they weight of a growing fruit would obviously snap it off....

I placed a apricot bud 2 summer ago...grew out a ton last summer and i'm hoping for fruit this summer (never looked to see how many/if any fruit buds are present.

o

I dunno…. Grafts are pretty tough after a year or two. Check out the following link, and look how much force he needs to apply to break a graft:

Here is a link that might be useful: Strength Testing Last Spring's Apple Bark (rind) Graft

o

Two very different instances of that happening come to mind, both with persimmon. The first was with a very precocious scion variety, Shin Na Da, onto a weak one year rootstock. The little 18 inch tall tree matured a single fruit and then just died, apparently exhausted with the effort. The other was U-20A topworked onto a 7 year old vigorous american persimmon. This graft developed multiple branches and set over a dozen flowers with two fruits maturing. Allowing the fruits to develop in this case probably reduced the growth of the graft. In both cases the quality of the fruit was subpar.

o

I have done it on an apricot, HOWEVER, the graft stopped growing after the apricot was ripe (and delicious) and it croaked its first winter. I am almost sure it spent all of its "oomph" making that first fruit and had no more to go on after that. And that is not even getting to the issue of "will the fruit be too heavy for the graft?"

I will never do it again and I am leery of even the second year if they did not grow much the first year. (however, I did learn that I liked the variety very much! [which was called Stephen's Favorite] And I grafted another scion the next year, which is still alive.

Carla in Sac

o

It only happened to me one's, ..I think only because of this remarkable apple, called Uttwiler Spaetlauber.

Sept. 24, 2011 photo IMG_9902.jpg

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 22:53

I'm pretty sure Konrad has some pictures of a very healthy looking fully-laden cherry branch from a same-year graft.

o

Yes, quite possible but not generally desirable if you want the graft to maintain vigorous growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here