Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape removal

Posted by kittymoonbeam 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 10:26

I got a beautiful wine grape that was brought from Romania and looks like it should be in old master paintings. It tastes good too but there was a green seedless grape that got planted with it ( the person who gave it to me thought they were both the burgundy-purple wine grape) The green grape is more aggressive and was out growing the purple grape. I cut it to a short stub. Is there any way to get rid of the green grape without harming the purple one? Will constantly removing the new foliage do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape removal

Try grafting the purple onto the green.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 11:29

Grafting is a good idea but not the easiest to do. If you keep all leaves removed you can probably starve it out in a couple years. If not too big I'd just dig it out. It won't regrow from the roots.

o

It's funny that the man who bought the house from his friend ( both from Romania) now wanted to get rid of the stuff from the "Old Country". He is replacing everything with Citrus along with palm trees which he associates with So. CA. His wife has little European statuary all over to make it a mini Beverly Hills. I just love the grape and even if it didn't taste good, I would keep it for its beauty. When I did some searching I found pictures of Transylvania farmlands that looked like they could be back in time. What beautiful countryside that is!

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Saschiz

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 12:31

o

I have traveled throughout Romania. The countryside is gorgeous, but most cities are gawd awful ugly (thanks communism). My favorite region was the Carpathian mountains (attached).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here