Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

no honeybees, worried about pollination...

fabaceae_native
12 years ago

I've kept honeybees since 2008, and barring the odd winter die off, have had no problems... until now.

In late winter I noticed one of the two hives was vacant and its honey was being robbed by the second colony. Then last week as I went to harvest from the vacated hive, I noticed the second one was suddenly empty: no honey, no dead bees, nothing. Worse yet, the droves of bees swarming all over the silver maple a couple weeks ago are gone and can not be found on the blooming apricot trees, OR grape, or anything else that would normally entice them.

I fear this is the mysterious honeybee disappearance (it does not look like any particular disease) that folks have been talking about for years now, I just hoped we were somehow immune here in NM. All the local beekeepers are experiencing the same thing this spring unfortunately. In any event, if we end up escaping any damaging late frosts we may still be out of luck for fruit if the honeybee population is too low to pollinate effectively. I've not seen any native bees either... Maybe it's time to pollinate by hand like the Chinese are doing (they've killed off their bees with pesticides I've read).

Comments (4)