Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant it?

Posted by bookjunky4life 5 Central IL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 10:44

I ordered a standard Gold Rush apple tree. It arrived it the mail today. However, with highs in the 30s/low 40s and lows in the 20s and 30s, I don't believe I can plant it yet. Is that correct? If so, what should I do with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant it?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 11:03

If your soil is dry enough to dig plant asap. The cold won't bother an apple at all.

o

I have chipped through frozen soil and planted trees below the frost. Go for it!

Scott

o

Scott
Either you are still fairly young or just one tough old man.I at least wait till the post hole digger doesn't spin on top.

o

If the ground is thawed, plant it now. Or plant as soon as the ground is thawed. Apple trees are really tough.

o

the decision is made on whether it is still fully dormant..

or actively growing and leafed out ...

fully dormant goes in the ground ..

leafed out goes in a pot.. in the garage.. until its properly hardened off.. and frost/freeze issues are closer to being resolved ... and also involves a call to the seller asking why they sent an actively growing tree to z5 in mid-march ...and discussing that warranty issues will be their problem .... should it fail ....

ken

o

It was fully dormant so I planted it yesterday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here