Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drivefly44

Burgundy Plum

drivefly44
10 years ago

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone can give me guidance on what is going on with my plum tree. It is growing like crazy but there are many leaves that have these dead spots on them. I have about 15 fruit trees, have been diligent with my spray schedule, but this is the only guy who is struggling. Thanks so much!!

Comments (14)

• Tony
    10 years ago

Drive,

Looks like your Burgundy plum is still in a pot. Sometimes too little water can stress the tree out. You can pluck off those few leaves and water the pot when the soil few dry. Just remember potted tree require water regularly.

Tony

• drivefly44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony. You could be right but I monitor the moisture levels very closely (I have 15 fruit trees and 14 japanese maples all in pots). I was thinking it was something else but I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first time :)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

My guess is Bacterial leaf spot that attacks the leaves, often appearing unnoticed on the leaf underside. Continued infestation can result in the plum tree problem of further leaf damage with holes surrounded by the red ringed bacterial indicator.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

That awful topping cut isn't going to do it any good either.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

shothole fungus? As I recall usually not a problem as the tree can get by fine with some leaf area loss.

• stu123
    10 years ago

How long are you planning to keep this in a pot? I've got my burgundy plum planted and it's a fast growing and heavy producing tree. Great tasting plums, very sweet.

• drivefly44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey stu, I'm hopefully moving in 4-5 months so I'm anxious to get this one in the ground. I've heard good things about burgundy (and Santa Rosa) and happy to hear you've had good success. I just couldn't wait to get it started. It has really exploded with growth over the last two weeks in central california!!!

• vincentkim8b
    8 years ago

I Just order 4 burgundy plum to grow. Thank you so much for all information.

• cwlucking
    8 years ago

I'm about to plant one of these at my parents' house, along with a sweet-treat pluerry, emerald drop pluot, and flavorosa pluot. I got the burgundy to pollinate the others, glad to hear it has great fruit too!

• vincentkim8b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I do the same thing , but Seattle is not the land for pluot , therefore i just tried to plant only

Flavor grenade with Elephant heart and burgundy plum close by.

• Fascist_Nation
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would have thought that FlavorRich and Flavor Supreme pluots would do well in Seattle. Has the issue been blooming too early?
    http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/flavor-supreme-pluot-interspecific-plum

http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/flavorich-pluot-interspecific-plum

• vincentkim8b
    8 years ago

Yes , bloom early when the weather still have late frost and rarely to have hot summer for the fruit to ripen.

• Fascist_Nation
    8 years ago

Understood.