Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burgundy Plum

Posted by DriveFly44 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 10:44

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone can give me guidance on what is going on with my plum tree. It is growing like crazy but there are many leaves that have these dead spots on them. I have about 15 fruit trees, have been diligent with my spray schedule, but this is the only guy who is struggling. Thanks so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burgundy Plum

Drive,

Looks like your Burgundy plum is still in a pot. Sometimes too little water can stress the tree out. You can pluck off those few leaves and water the pot when the soil few dry. Just remember potted tree require water regularly.

Tony

o

Thanks Tony. You could be right but I monitor the moisture levels very closely (I have 15 fruit trees and 14 japanese maples all in pots). I was thinking it was something else but I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first time :)

o

My guess is Bacterial leaf spot that attacks the leaves, often appearing unnoticed on the leaf underside. Continued infestation can result in the plum tree problem of further leaf damage with holes surrounded by the red ringed bacterial indicator.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 13:25

That awful topping cut isn't going to do it any good either.

o

shothole fungus? As I recall usually not a problem as the tree can get by fine with some leaf area loss.

o

Thanks CB and FN, it's probably one of those. I'll keep a close eye on it.
Bboy, topping cut looks worse than it is so not sure if you are referring to the philosophy or the actual appearance of it. Most of my fruit trees (peaches, nectarines, nectaplum, plums) are cut at knee to waist height to promote lower scaffolding and open centers which tie into the backyard orchard culture. It's been working great for me.

o

How long are you planning to keep this in a pot? I've got my burgundy plum planted and it's a fast growing and heavy producing tree. Great tasting plums, very sweet.

o

Hey stu, I'm hopefully moving in 4-5 months so I'm anxious to get this one in the ground. I've heard good things about burgundy (and Santa Rosa) and happy to hear you've had good success. I just couldn't wait to get it started. It has really exploded with growth over the last two weeks in central california!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here