Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deer like blueberry bushes, right? how much

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 10:48

I am planning a spot for some blueberry bushes and I like a spot outside the fence. I am wondering how they rank on the deer's hitlist. If it's futile I need to plan them all inside the fence. Whatcha think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deer like blueberry bushes, right? how much

They ate mine right down to the ground. Luckily, they recovered and are now netted.

o

Where I live, blueberries aren't very high on their list, but they will eat young growth if there isn't much else around to eat (e.g., during the winter). An occasional spray with deer repellant has worked for me.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 12:09

Living in the city of Madison, we have more trouble with rabbits feasting on our blueberry shrubs during the winter. They go for the tips of the branches, and they take out many of the buds. One partial solution is to pile snow on the plants, until they are buried. Another prevention is to spray the shrubs with fungicide in the fall, which is supposed to make the branches taste bitter. I haven't done this yet, but after the damage done last winter, I will be out there this fall with a spray bottle. We have several shrubs that lost about 1/2 of the fruiting branches.

o

The deer never bothered mine, but the rabbits chewed off the small plants until I fenced them out whith chicken wire fence.

o

Deer rarely bother mine, and the pressure is high. They nibble on the ends of the tender new growth a little if food is scarce, but not enough to worry over. Even in 2007 during the extreme drought following the Easter freeze when the deer were starving, they did not do much damage to the blueberries. They did eat everything else that year-even nibbled on my pawpaws.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here