Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olpea

Glenn - Has Purdue been reading your posts?

olpea
12 years ago

Hey Glenn,

I was perusing through Purdue's updated fruit pest guide for homeowners and came across their section on Multipurpose Fruit Sprays (MPFS).

They list the same disadvantages you've listed here over and over. Had to laugh when I saw it. You've been vindicated :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Managing Pests in Home Fruit Plantings

Comments (6)

• bart1
    12 years ago

WOW! Great link. Thanks for that!

I haven't looked at anything other than the photos on the first few pages, but those alone are worth it. If you ever wanted to know the differences between sliver tip, green tip, half inch green and tight cluster were (etc, etc), this guide has great photos.

I'd suggest starting a new tread (or renaming this one if possible) so more people click on it.

Thanks again,
    Bart

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

What a fantastic download. It is filled with so much information which is great for the new 'orchardist'. Thanks so much Olpea!

• Randy31513
    12 years ago

What gets me though is for a chemical to be listed as the thing to spray but you can't find it like, acetamiprid which after digging I find out is Dow's Assail but it is not to be found.
    I think these Orchard guides for home owners are great and the Purdue version is really good but it is common for them to list chemicals that home orchard people cannot find or they are no longer listed for home orchards.

I did notice they did list MPFS in their spray guides.

• Randy31513
    12 years ago

I just found acetamiprid in Ortho� Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Insect Killer Concentrate. I found it looking for esfenvalerate which use to be offered by Ortho but looks like that product is gone now.

Finding chemicals to match spray programs can be frustrating.

• olpea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"I just found acetamiprid in Ortho� Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Insect Killer Concentrate"

Thanks for posting that Randy. I'm going to start recommending that when people want another option besides Triazicide Once and Done.

Acetamiprid is much better than carbaryl or malathion (both of which have been discussed on this forum recently).

I use the equivalent (Assail). It's a reduced risk pesticide, absorbs in plant tissues which makes it more rainfast, and has good activity against lep. pests and some activity against plum curc.

The only downside I see is that it is more expensive (80 bucks/quart) than Triazicide or carbaryl, so that may scare some people off.

• glenn_russell
    12 years ago

Ha! Too funny Olpea! I just got back from work-travel and noticed my call out here on the forum! :-) Bonide FTS burnt me pretty badly, and so I just hate to see others waste their time, money, and trees on the crap! My applogies to all for my redundent replies. But, yes, that text looks a lot like my my posts about FTS. Too funny! Of course, all that info in my paragraph I really got from you, Harvestman, Jellyman, and the others here. I'll have to link people to it in the future! Thanks for the great post! -Glenn

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996