Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Montmorency Cherry - sucker shoots at the base

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 10:58

There are 2-3 sucker shoots at the base of our Montmorency Cherry (5 years old, healthy tree). They are about 2ft long and have buds on them. They are coming out of the ground, or below ground - not from the visible part of the trunk. They came out last season and I let them be. Would you think it possible to cut them off below ground level, put them in some rooting material and expect to grow a tree from them at some point? If so, what "rooting material" would you suggest I try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Montmorency Cherry - sucker shoots at the base

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 12:14

How close to the trunk are they? If there are a foot or more I would use a sharp spade to sever the connection to the main tree and then leave it a lone for a few months and let the now independent tree grow some more roots before digging it out and transplanting late winter/early spring.

I'm assuming your tree is grafted and what you'll get is another rootstock ready to be grafted.

o
RE: Montmorency Cherry - sucker shoots at the base

Thanks, murky. That's an interesting idea and I will definately try it. I know Motmorency does not need cross polinator, but I sure cannot pass a chance of getting a second tree for FREE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here