Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SWD and berries

Posted by CaraRose 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 11:02

I lost all of my blackberries last year to SWD. Hoping to avoid that this year.

My bramble patch is against the garage and I'm not sure how easy it will be to fully net. I was wondering if it would be viable to create little net bags of gardening fabric or tulle (is tulle too wide a netting for these buggers?) and cover the berry clusters themselves, loosely but well sealed off.

Obviously more work, but would it keep them off? Or would they be able to lay eggs through the netting?

My potted blueberries didn't have them last year, but if I had them in one crop, should I be paranoid about another?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SWD and berries

• Posted by Noogy 6 sw mi (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 20:49

Cara,
SWD is a nightmare. After tending very productive raspberries for a few years, I must say the last 2 were bad. I did get 1/2 seasons worth of blackberries from my Arapahoes in '13, but after a couple weeks they were infested. I have Blueberries but am concentrating on the earliest/latest varieties cause they aren't as active at those temps. No more brambles for me.

o

Mosquito or no-see-um type mesh is plenty small, will work to bag individual clusters. Not familiar with tulle. Eggs could still be laid where the berry firmly contacts the netting.

I would not recommend fully netting the whole patch because many of the overwintering flies may be on the ground in the patch. You would just end up with a tent full of flies.

Set out a vinegar trap so you know when the flies start to appear.

o

it will be very interesting to see how swd overwinters this year in the northern ,locations. lots of hard cold without much snow cover.
The recs i have seen are for netting to go up as green berries swell, well before any color or skin softening.
you have to have the netting off for pollinators.

o

For many varieties, the terminal berry at the apex of each cluster turns color while other berries are still green, so the netting should be up by then.

o

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if there's someway I can make 'hoops' in the bag to try and keep the netting around the fruit but not touching it. I'm going to give it a try this year and hope for the best.

I would be so happy if the SWD took a hard hit this winter. Freeze little bastards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here