Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndougg

animal? eating branches?

johndoug
10 years ago

i first noticed on my blueberry, but then noticed on holly and rose bushes. the strangest thing. clean cuts on branches 20 inches and below. i mean like a sharp knife cut through the branches. must be some animal that shears the branches off with their sharp teeth. i also saw some some abrasions on bark, that look like what antler rub would look like on a big tree, but these are pencil size branches.

at first, the only thing that came to mind was someone snuck in to my property with pruning shears and just had at it cutting off all my lateral branches from the stem. but that didn't make much sense.

the only other piece to the puzzle is one evening, and one evening only, it was maybe 5 oclock, a little overcast but plenty light out, a racoon came over to my house. i was standing there, and it kept walking close to the house, not scared at all of me.

my yard is fenced in, but there are spots between the grass and the fence were there is a good 12-iinches gap. deer can't get in, but other things can.

has anyone seen this before? the knifecut shearing of branches? thanks,

Comments (4)