Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
animal? eating branches?

Posted by johndoug z6 Philly (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 11:05

i first noticed on my blueberry, but then noticed on holly and rose bushes. the strangest thing. clean cuts on branches 20 inches and below. i mean like a sharp knife cut through the branches. must be some animal that shears the branches off with their sharp teeth. i also saw some some abrasions on bark, that look like what antler rub would look like on a big tree, but these are pencil size branches.

at first, the only thing that came to mind was someone snuck in to my property with pruning shears and just had at it cutting off all my lateral branches from the stem. but that didn't make much sense.

the only other piece to the puzzle is one evening, and one evening only, it was maybe 5 oclock, a little overcast but plenty light out, a racoon came over to my house. i was standing there, and it kept walking close to the house, not scared at all of me.

my yard is fenced in, but there are spots between the grass and the fence were there is a good 12-iinches gap. deer can't get in, but other things can.

has anyone seen this before? the knifecut shearing of branches? thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: animal? eating branches?

JD,

Mr. Rabbit. If you look around under those bushes and you will find a bunch of small round of fecal materials. They broke my heart many times by slicing my newly grafts right in half and ate the whole scion with fresh leaves. I used fresh cut apple in a live trap to get them. Some of them are huge with a very sharp teeth.

Tony

o

Johndoug, You haven't seen anything until I learn t send pics! Rabbits destroyed at least 60 trees (apple). I'am not sure they will recover. I have discovered that they like Honey Crisp 10 to 1.

o

Rabbits no doubt. I cant control them with the boy shooting at them or the dogs. I gave up and wrap everything with a short piece of 18in wide chicken wire. If they aren't wrapped they will be girdled or chewed clean off within a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here