Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carmine jewel cherry

Posted by wndr1mn none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 11:06

Hello Ottawa Ontario here. Anyone have any comment on a Carmine Jewel sour Cherry in this area? Thank you for all the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carmine jewel cherry

I think folks are very happy with both Carmine Jewel and Crimson Passion. Supposedly just about as sweet as sweet cherries. I am trying to grow them down here in S. Calif. Sort of my "experiment" in pushing the envelope with chill hours. My Carmine Jewel has not blossomed, yet, nor has my Evans cherry. Awaiting delivery on my Crimson Passion, as the one I ordered last year with the Carmine Jewel did not make it (they are a little more finicky in getting started, apparently).

Patty S.

o

Thank you!
Anyone from Ontario have any luck?

o

I'm fairly close in MI, but I have yet to put mine in the ground. I ordered one and a Crimson Passion too. I know a guy in PA growing a few, and they're doing great! It should grow really well in Ontario! As long as it get's full sun decent soil etc.

o

Interesting question. They were bred in Saskatchewan to be prairie-hardy (zone 2 and 3), but they really haven't been tested as to their southern limits. My bet is that they will do fantastic in Ottawa, but that has yet to be proven.

o

I think I am gonna give one a try this spring! I will keep you all updated.

o

• Posted by tbuch 5a, Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 19:59

Sorry no experience yet either. I'm here in Peterborough, Ontario and just ordered Romeo, Julliette and Crimson Passion cherries. I hear good things and am looking forward to trying them. Good luck.

o

Sure, you'll never know until you try.
A breeder from the US Washington, told me that Evans Cherry there hardly ever have a descant amount of fruits,..they do better in colder climate. You're zone 5a, which is colder and probably OK. for any of the Saskatchewan cherries.

o

Gurney's Seed & Nursery Co.is in Indiana and they sell Carmine Jewel. They report it is growing great there! They are in Zone 6a.
See for yourself!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3SwGAA0vns

o

Not loaded as Evans, he is also zone 5. [Evans I use as a benchmark] still, not a bad crop.

o

Yes, the zones are funky though. I'm in 6A, yet 200 miles north of central Ohio. I guess the "lake effect" accounts for my higher zone. The Great Lakes keeping it warmer than areas without surrounding huge bodies of water. I don't get why Gurney's is in Indiana and the trees are in Ohio? A long way to go for the test plot! I have been getting into the Zaiger hybrids from CA, and those people have shown that most of the ratings are way off, such as chilling hours and such. Growing 1000 hour chill varieties in 200 hour chill area with no problems. As one can read the CA growers even are trying to grow this there. A little extreme, but valuable info from the attempt. Anyway so I'm trying to grow low chill varieties in a higher chill area, and so far so good, they seem to be adapting. I noticed some of the Zaiger products lowered zone requirements Arctic Jay nectarine was lowered to zone 6 from zone 7 recently. I wanted this tree, but didn't get it because of the zone rating and they go and change it on me! I should have ordered it anyway! Carmine Jewel is rated from Zone 3-8, 3-7, and 2-8 depending on the nursery! The University that developed them says they will not really produce till year 5 or 6 and you should get 20 pounds or more in the 5th year. I wish Gurneys would make another video to show us the plant now, as that video is 3 years old.

o

have any of you trained one to tree form? Ive been waivering back and forth between one of these or a northstar or meteor because I want to put a small cherry tree in my yard, but I don't really like the bushy look ive seen in pics. If you train them as a tree I wonder how much different they would look than a regular dwarf tree?

o

Yup you can train it to tree form. Gurneys has a video someone posted a link to on an earlier post.

o

If you want a tree form, then I would definitely choose something like Northstar, Meteor or Evans/Bali. Their natural form is a small tree. The Carmine Jewel and the Romance series are so strongly branched right from the very bottom that forcing them into a tree form would be an endless battle. They do produce a darker, somewhat meatier cherry though, with higher sugar content.
 photo Aug812cherries3.jpg

photo Aug812cherries4.jpg

o

Nice Don!
I also put a Cupid in last year,..the sweetest and largest of the Saskatchewan breed I think, used to be called Big Momma.

o

Do any mail order nurseries in the US carry Cupid?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here