Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should i prune mini apple tree

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 11:17

Hi all you good people. I bought this miniature apple tree last year (bet you are all impressed eh? :) Ive never had a fruit tree before and Im wondering how to get it to branch out. Would you suggest lopping any bits off or just leave it as it is. Im in UK and although its spring its very cold at the mo so wont touch it yet.Sorry the pics not great
Many thanks for any suggestions
averil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should i prune mini apple tree

Heres the pic the right way round

o

It looks like it is branching out pretty well all on its own. I might take a few inches (10 cm?) off the lower branches to keep them from competing too much with the central leader and to help them branch more. But otherwise this tree doesn't look like it really needs pruning.

o

Thankyou dm. If you think it looks okay then i shall leave it. As I said I dont know anything about fruit trees. Its nice to come on here for advice
Kind regards
Averil

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 15:13

Averil:

If you want a fuller and more branched tree I think you will need to head back those three long shoots. Leave that short shoot and cut the other three back to not much longer. If you don't all that blind wood will be there forever. By blind wood I mean all that wood on the three shoots with no spurs or branches.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 17:07

I like blind wood in the middle of the tree. Gives you someplace to stand.

o

Hi fruit nut, thanks for advice. I don't like all that blind wood so I shall take the bull by the horns and shorten them. MUrky it could make a nice shady place for a gnome
THanks folks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here