Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pheasants lare hungry and ike the crabapples

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 11:19

Got a few crabapples for pollination in my yard. We have very heavy snow cover for this late in the season. I have seen as many as three pheasant roosters in my trees at once. pretty cool!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pheasants lare hungry and ike the crabapples

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 11:59

Lucky pheasants!

o

That's fun, I miss seeing pheasants...miss eating them more.

do they fall out of the trees?

around here we have a "problem" with cedar waxwings eating the fermented crabapples late in winter....they get loaded, some fall to the ground, some fly about erratically and miss their landings....it provides good amusement at a local library with 3 big trees and a well placed window.

I was skeptical when I first heard of it, but a local wildlife biologist confirmed that it is a common phenomena.

I suspect it is variety dependent...they must need a pretty high brix to get any significant alcohol build up.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 19:07

When I lived in California, in september, year after year, birds would hit my windows, and only in September. Sometimes I would get home from work and find a dead one under the patio door. And everyone was convinced that they were drunk from Pyracantha berries. I ended up believing it too.

o

Update! FIVE roosters at once. -12F last nite. I think they're getting pretty hungry so I'm going throw out some mixed grains chicken feed for them. I have seen them fall from the tree but pheasant roosters are pretty clumsy flyers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here