Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Straight trunks coming up next to main trunk.

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 11:19

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but we recently purchased a very neglected property with various fruit and other trees.

The previous owner gave me a fast overview of what is there, and I believe that the apricot has multiple trunks, and I think some must be suckers. I would assume these could be used as root stock eventually, but they are loaded with blossoms, like the main tree, and I'm wondering what the quality of fruit will be like. The main tree and suckers are about 20' high, and the suckers are about 2-3" in diameter.

I welcome your input. I'll try to get photos next week. We are back and forth between two houses during the remodel.

Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Straight trunks coming up next to main trunk.

I have not seen Apricot grown on its own root but it is possible. I would wait now and see what, if any fruit is on the suckers. Apricots are normally pruned mid summer for disease prevention anyway, so I would plan on removing them at that time. Al

o
RE: Straight trunks coming up next to main trunk.

I assume you mean these additional "trees" are coming out of the ground below the graft union. Are blossoms identical? Most common rootstock for apricots and prone to suckering is Myrobolan which will produce fruit you are unlikely to be fond of.

Experimentation is fine but I wouldn't let them crowd the intended scion tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here